Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Knocking in Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking in Steering Column

I recently purchased a 2002 Silverado 1500 with about 50,000. It has a knocking in the steering column that the dealer says is from the intermediate steering shaft rubbing together. They can order a grease kit for the problem but that is only a bandaid. They also say this is chronic problem in GM steering columns and they can no longer order the part that will actually repair it. Can anyone confirm this? I'm going to research it more also and will post any information that I can find.
Old June 7th, 2006, 4:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Knocking in Steering Column

My 03 Silverado went throught the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they greased up the shaft and the knocking went away. It's been over a year and the knocking hasn't come back
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

How many miles since the grease kit? I was told they last about 10,000.
Old June 13th, 2006, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same knocking in my 2002 2500HD. It is so bad that some times it sounds like the whole column is going to fall apart. I've taken it to the dealer twice to have the grease put in but it only last for about 2-3 months before it starts knocking again. I was told by the dealer (1 1/2 years ago) that Chverolet had a fix for this. As soon as the dealer got the parts to fix it they were going to call me so that I could bring in my truck. Still waiting for the phone call. IMO there should be a recall on this.
Old June 16th, 2006, 1:54 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: Shawn

How many miles since the grease kit? I was told they last about 10,000.
It's been at least 15k
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:52 AM
CF Active Member

yeah dude, they used to replace the shafts but now they came out with a great lube for them. if you lube it right it'll stay good for a long time, but might have to lube it again eventually. it's cause by the flez in the frame.. and the clearance between the two pieces in the shaft.. lube it it'll be fine
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Well that great lube job is already starting where out and it hasn't been 500 miles since they did it. Looks like I'm going to have to find a new shaft.
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

I also have a 2002 Silverado 4x4. The intermediate shaft was replaced in 12/2002. The problem is that it was replaced
with the same one. Anyway, it started back knocking again in 2005. I called the dealership and they said it would be about $100 bucks to have a lube kit put in.

I'm afraid that it won't last long, and then there is another trip to chevy for $100 a pop.

Why won't Chevrolet step up to the plate and address this problem. Chevrolet trucks are losing ground every day to Ford and this is why. No Quality and they don't stand behind their products. They know they messed up with this part but still won't address it.

Read the internet, and there are a lot of people having this problem, I just don't understand.
Old July 24th, 2006, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2003 Suburban and 2003 Silverado. I took each in for this service under warranty about 30k miles. Now my Suburban is having the issue again at 50k miles. The Service Rep knows all about the issue. He states GM has not recall on this and that I am now responsible for maintaining this fix.

My question is was with the warranty. I consider this a problem that existed, and not resolved properly while I was under warranty. Now they want to pawn off the issue on me.

What's GM policy with continuing issues past the warranty?

Old July 24th, 2006, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

GM Warranty
The warranty coverages are measured by year/ km, whichever comes first, to correct any defects in materials or workmanship occurring during the warranty period.

My 2 vehicle's steering columns were worked on during the warranty period - therefore workmanship was defective and is covered - am I correct?

Quick Reply: Knocking in Steering Column