Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

leaking tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2009, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking tranny fluid

hey guys i got my oil pump replaced and my truck runs awesome for any of yall who wanted to know from my least thread. but now my tranny fluid is leaking out alot everytime i drive it. it is leaking on my exhaust pipes which causes it to smoke when i drive. i cant tell where its coming from. it drips from the passenger side of my tranny pan but im not sure if its the gasket. it is not my hoses i have already looked. is it possible for a blown gasket to allow so much leakage? it just all the sudden started 3 days ago in my driveway while i was idling. any help?
Old May 14th, 2009, 6:27 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you see where its coming from? check the cooler lines. Did it happen right after the oil pump changeout? if so , take it back to the guy who did the work.
Old May 14th, 2009, 6:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the gasket.
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM
CF Senior Member

CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL!!
CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL!!
CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL!!
CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL!!
there's breather tube on the top of transmission.....

also, haven't you had oil pan removed to replace the oil pump? GM is very **** about proper mating between oil pan and transmission, very close tolerances..... makes me wonder.
Old May 15th, 2009, 8:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Check the pan gasket on the tranny, alot of times, depending on the year, you can get stuck with a cheap cork gasket, those last for about the five minutes that it takes to put the pan back in. Again, depending on the year you can check around you dip stick, that is suppose to have a rubber o-ring around it, and also check the TV cable , these are just small things around the transmission that if the gasket is bad and you have too much fluid in it, these are just some things to check out.
Old May 15th, 2009, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

ok i have checked my fluid and it is way way way above the HOT line. like maybe 4 inches above. but the other day when a yube came loose is drained it all out and i checked it after that happened and the dip stick said it was dry. so i went to discount auto and it said it took 7.7 quarts to refil so i put 7.7 quarts in it. i did not drain the rest if there is any left which i didnt think there was. can an overfill cause it to leak like that?
Old May 15th, 2009, 9:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jherkel
ok i have checked my fluid and it is way way way above the HOT line. like maybe 4 inches above. but the other day when a yube came loose is drained it all out and i checked it after that happened and the dip stick said it was dry. so i went to discount auto and it said it took 7.7 quarts to refil so i put 7.7 quarts in it. i did not drain the rest if there is any left which i didnt think there was. can an overfill cause it to leak like that?
daah, that's when you are destined too have gaskets and seals blown.
never ever listen to what parts store tells you or, at least, take it with a grain of salt. what you should have done was to
1. find out from dealership exact refill
2. refill some and check level. i know, it is very hard to determine on that dipstick, but do your best. when you overfill trannie, not only breather tube becomes way out for the fluid, but, you'll plain hurt trannie.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ukrkoz called this one right. You have to get in the habit of checking out your own vehicle for yourself.

They gave you the proper amount to fill a TOTALLY EMPTY tranny. Yours was partially full.

Always think these things thru for yourself and your truck, given your personal situation at the time. Regardless of what some parts store clerk tells you, when your truck blows up, fixing it will come out of your pocket, unfortunately.

It's tough enough just keeping the truck running right, without borrowing trouble by overfilling.
Old January 6th, 2013, 2:21 AM
CF Beginner

i have a wicked leak in my 2000 chevy Silverado 2500 hd i got 120 k miles on it and its a grate truck the transmission has been rebuilt and it just started leaking after i used the 4 BY 4 hi doing some plowing and it just stated leaking from the front by the engine any one know of what could be the issue the leak is really bad it dumps all the fluid in matter of 5 mins if anyone knows what could be the problem please msg me back thank you
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Solution.

Hey, the same thing was happening with my 1991 Chevy C1500 when I bought it from a friend for $250.. Mine is a manual transmission. The problem was that the drive shaft had a leak in the yoke, or something like that.. The plug between the ears of my trans/drive shaft yoke was leaking trans fluid. it cost me $35 to have the hole sealed. I had to remove the drive shaft then take it to a shop to have the plug hole sealed.. hope this helps. It wouldn't pass emissions because the tranny fluid was dripping onto the exhaust and was smoking. So the coworker thought it would need a new tranny or something, so he sold it to me.

Quick Reply: leaking tranny fluid