Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for better fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2011, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for better fuel economy

I have a 2003 Chevy 1500 ext cab Z71 with 5.3 liter and automatic transmission. I have a K&N cold air intake and dual 2.5" exhaust from the cat back. Is there anything else I can do to get better gas mileage?
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put x-pipe on your exhaust...if its true dual. Get electric fans from a 05+ silverado and radiator, and get a tune from blackbearperformance.com or gowheatley.com

I saw like 3mpg from the tune with these same mods. And drivin style has a lot to do with it
Old November 27th, 2011, 9:56 PM
CF Senior Member

If you want your truck to be really loud and get better fuel economy you can get the cats cut off and just a pipe welded on. I thought it would give me worse fuel economy with the 02 sensors but with the better flow it gives me better fuel economy. So thats an options but if you do just be ready for your truck to be a hell of a lot louder.
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com
If you want your truck to be really loud and get better fuel economy you can get the cats cut off and just a pipe welded on. I thought it would give me worse fuel economy with the 02 sensors but with the better flow it gives me better fuel economy. So thats an options but if you do just be ready for your truck to be a hell of a lot louder.

How much did you mpg's go up?
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Throttle body spacer- I saw 2mpg increase on my 08 Silverado.
Airaid 200-512-1 Mat, direct fit Throttle Body Spacer | Auto Parts Warehouse
Old December 1st, 2011, 9:23 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Ccemerson23
wouldnt that make it worse.? more air in means the fuel in has to go up also to keep the right ratio
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ccemerson23
throttle body spacers haven't helped on a GM truck since 98...the 99 and up newer body styles don't receive any benefit from the throttle body spacer. I had one, made a cool whistle noise but that's about it
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:33 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com
That would be illegal in the USA.

You could redo the exhaust to include headers, better flowing y-pipe and performance cat, but not sure if that would be worth the money. Maybe just a performance cat, but this is still illegal if you have a functioining cat.

Switch to synthetic oil, transmission/transfer case fluid and gear lube. Keep proper inflation on tires.
Old December 10th, 2011, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

I agree with slw210. Synthetic Oils are a simple solution but do not make a huge improvement in MPG.
The cat removal is an expensive mistake.
All the performance parts will be expensive. You would have to get a lot better MPG to pay that off. If you have a low gear ratio 3.73 -410 for example, a switch to taller gears, 3.07 0r 2.73 would help a lot for MPG on the highway but kills some performance.
Try to coast more to stops and accelerate slower.
I try to do this and it helps some. My Z71 gets 15MPG in combined driving with the most miles on the highway at speeds over 70 MPG.
The new eco cars turn off their engines automatically at stoplights. (Chevy Hybrid too).
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:21 PM
CF Active Member

3.07 would kill you at starts though. right.? but alot less rpm's at higher speed.? gears confuse me, so im trying to learn a lil

Quick Reply: Looking for better fuel economy