Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 Silverado Remote Starter not working in VERY cold weather

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2009, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Silverado Remote Starter not working in VERY cold weather

I have a 2009 Silverado with only 8,000 kms. It has been very cold here (-30 Celcius).

The truck starts with the remote start...sometimes, but will only run for about 30 seconds then quits. Starts fine manually with the key. My friend has a 2009 GMC Sierra and his is doing the same thing. Another friend has 2007 Sierra...his won't start at all with the remote starter in this cold weather.

After the truck warms up the remote start works as it should. Called 2 Chev dealers and both said they have never heard of this.

Also talked to a place that installs remote starters and he said this is a common problem with 07, 08 & 09 GMC products.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me.
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you can not take it to the dealer and ask them to try starting it 'cause by then the engine will be nice and warm so it will start at the first atempt, but what if you tell them to try and start one of the trucks on the lot when the wether is the coldest, and see what happens.
but one thing is for sure, almost every time you tell the dealer about some problem you have with your truck they always act like this has never happen before, but put some pressure on them your truck is still under warranty so they have to come up with a solution for that, 'cause right now is when you need it the most!!!

My '07 silverado fails to start with the remote at least once every 8 starts, at first i was thinking that it was when is low on gas, that would make sense 'cause you need to have some gas in the tank in order to make it to a gas station, but no it starts with even the "fuel low" warning on, but when it fails to start it even does it with a full tank of gas so i don't know what causes it to fail every once in a while, no matter the wether conditions.
my warranty is about to ran out, i'm going to tell the dealer about this and other minor issues, but i already know what the answer is going to be!!!!!
If someone else have this issues with their trucks please let us know, this might be a recall.

Last edited by QUETRANPA; December 19th, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old April 8th, 2010, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start

Just read your post about remote start failure. Did you ever figure it out?
I've got an 09 Cobalt and remote start just failed (after working great since may 09). Dealer says it a hood sensor but didn't have one (he'll call me when it comes in). Another GM dealer said that can't be right. He gets it on Monday.