Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Truck (ext cab or Crew Cab?)

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2007, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Truck (ext cab or Crew Cab?)

I'm looking at maybe getting a new Silverado truck (07) since I never owned a truck before I'm trying to find out what is better.. We have no kids so it will be mostly my wife and I in the truck most of the time.. plus we have other car if we need to take 4 people...

I'm looking at these to models

Ext Cab short bed LTZ or

Crew Cab short bed LTZ (10" long)

there is about $3700 diffecnce too... (crew cab more)
Old January 25th, 2007, 7:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: New Truck (ext cab or Crew Cab?)

Mike,

This debate has gone all around and you will find answers ranging all over. There are a few major aspects to consider though.
If you think you will be using the EXT for more than just coats and shopping spoils... then its not worth it. You have to open the front doors to access the rears EVERY time... doesn't seem bad but if you plan on using it, it becomes very annoying very quick. In addition if you close the doors in the wrong order you'll have some nice shiners top and bottom. Because your looking into short beds it shouldn't harm you, but the extended cabs don't have great vision for side views. Crew cabs on the other hand have excellent viewing and windows you can control via the front door. The larger cab also makes it more valuable for re-sale or trade. Its nicer having seperate doors and there is more storage for the days you go back home with a new grill or tv. The windows in the back are also nice on hot days for better ventilation. Hope that helps you out...

-- Rick
Old January 26th, 2007, 1:17 AM
Banned

x cab.
Old January 26th, 2007, 9:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Crew

Everything Rick said is true. I have had 3 ext cabs before i got my crewcab and there is no way i'll go back to anything smaller.

One more thing, the seats fold flat for alot of usable storeage and, with the seats up you can still put small items behind the rear seats(like a standard cab truck).
Old January 26th, 2007, 3:00 PM
CF Junior Member

The crew cab has a shorter bed than the extended cab. If you need the space in the bed, then go with the extended cab. If interior space is more useful, then get the crew cab.
Old January 26th, 2007, 8:30 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: lost_in_alabama

The crew cab has a shorter bed than the extended cab. If you need the space in the bed, then go with the extended cab. If interior space is more useful, then get the crew cab.

What???
you can get a shorter(than 6') bed but most crews have a standard 6' bed. If you go with a 2500 you can get the full 8' bed if you want.
Old January 27th, 2007, 1:52 AM
art
CF Junior Member

I like my extended cab because it keeps the overall length of the truck shorter than the crew cab, which makes a huge difference when turning or parking. I also like it because the rear doors open backwards which means you have open access to the whole inside of the truck from one location, you don't have to walk around the back door to gain access to the rear seat. We have dogs and this makes it easier to load and unload them. You get more room in the back seat with a crew cab, but that room is taken from the bed and our back seat is still bigger andhas more leg room than any car I have ever been in.
Old February 1st, 2007, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

I have had several XCabs... I now have an 04 Crew..... I hate the bed, love the cab. A tool box takes up half the bed. I will make sure my next crew has the longer bed. I love the crew, normal doors help so much.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Just got an 04 crew cab. Looked at the ext cabs and just didn't like the room in the back.

I've got a family of 4, used to drive an SUV, and just need the comfort and room that 4 doors offer.

The bed is short, 5'8", but I think it'll be just fine since I don't plan on puttin in a toolbox.

It really depends on your needs, I just don't like the shortend backseat.
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Hey have you decided yet? extended cab gets better gas mileage. ( I had an 04 LT and love it) but If you ever need passengers the crew is the way to go. Plenty of room for large ext cab. I jus bought an 07 crew LTZ and we are LOVING IT. on the road I got 19 miles to the gallon.

Quick Reply: New Truck (ext cab or Crew Cab?)