Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OEM radio or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2006, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM radio or Aftermarket?

I only have a AM/FM radio and want to upgrade to a CD. The OEM radio is =>300.00, while the aftermarket "Crutchfield" is only about 160.00 with all the required harnesses.
I am worried about thief, afterall who would want an OEM radio while an aftermarket radio is there??
The radio I had in mind has a detachable face, but if a thief sees the face missing, he may think the face is hidden in the truck, and destroy the truck trying to find it.

Any comments?

Thanks!! Stash
Old September 30th, 2006, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: OEM radio or Aftermarket?

I upgraded my OEM radio (and speakers) with a setup from Crutchfield and I leave the faceplate on all the time. As long as you have a "basic" HU, I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you live/work in a high crime area and like to drive around with the windows down and the music cranked more or less advertising your system. With the drop in prices in car electronics, most theives would rather steal your identity and get a fraudulent credit card, instead of trying to sell a hot stereo....IMHO! Oh, and the new head unit and speakers are well worth the upgrade, too!

John

'06 Silverado W/T, Reg cab, long bed, 4.3L
Old October 1st, 2006, 8:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: OEM radio or Aftermarket?

Anything from Crutchfield is a good deal and they always send you the wiring harness. If you check out some of my past posts you'll see I already had the problem that you're worried about. The best thing you can do if your really concerned about theft is put an alarm with a visible flashing light. So far it's worked great for me.