Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

p0449 code

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2011, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0449 code

i have a 2005 silverado Z71, was on my way to work one morning and my display told me to tighten gas cap. i checked it and was not loose. i did replace it anyhow, bought a code reader, cleared the code and the light went out. 2 trips later, it was back on...p0449. does anyone have any DIY advice on determining if it's the EVAP vent valve, the EVAP cannister or the pressure sensor in the tank? I've checked hoses and connections and don't see anything obvious? I've been a diesel mechanic all my life and don't like to guess when troubleshooting, that can get expensive! should I just take to dealer for smoke test?
Old September 13th, 2011, 9:02 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I would not waste money on troubleshooting, either. I would recommend taking the vehicle to the dealership to have them diagnose and repair the issue. Let us know how it goes.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 13th, 2011, 9:40 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Evap cannister solenoid valve incorrect voltage at driver. I have a half azzed Haynes manual, and I would say whatever is driving the solenoid is the problem. I can look it up later and post.
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
CF Monarch

Look under the hood for a fuse box. There is a 10 amp fuse from eng1, check there for a blown fuse. Also if fuse is good, test light or VOM check with key on for voltage.
Old September 13th, 2011, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

that would be the fuel tank pressure sensor right? if the pressure inside the tank is equal to atmospheric pressure, it only sends 1.5 volts instead of 4.5? so if I checked output voltage on signal wire and it reads 1.5, that would be my fault? that happened on my father in laws truck, I just like to be sure before I start spending money!
Old September 13th, 2011, 3:01 PM
CF Monarch

Sorry, thats the evap cannister vent valve solenoid.
Old September 13th, 2011, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

oops! you see, back when I started my career, there were no "computer controlled anything" - I kinda miss those days! so the vent valve solenoid controls voltage to the "driver" and the fuel tank pressure sensor basically monitors the system for leaks? they should make these obd codes just tell you what to replace! ha-ha. so on the back of my fuel tank is a small "roundish" valve - 1 elec connector & 1 hose - that"s the vent valve solenoid? then next to my tank (inboard of tank - laying horizontal is the evap cannister?) so if there's low voltage at driver, do you think the vent valve solenoid is to blame? BTW, I do appreciate you taking time to help me try to figure this out!
Old September 13th, 2011, 7:33 PM
CF Monarch

Ok, the code is the driver to the soleniod is low output. Thats why I suggested checking under the hood for voltage from fuse eng1.
Old September 14th, 2011, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

hey Kevinkpk - well I checked the underhood fuse block. there is no fuse actually marked as eng1 like the Haynes book says it does, but I did a continuity check on every fuse in the whole truck, engine compartment & instrament panel - all were good. took voltage readings on all that were marked ign, pcm, etc...all were 12.3 or higher. so I unhooked the connector at the vent valve, it had 12+ volts, and checked it at the purge valve, and it was 12+ volts.? so, I'm leaning towards a leak in the system somewhere? i did notice on the evap cannister - it has quick disconnects on the lines...on the one coming from the vent valve (on the cannister itself) it's kinda loose - it'll move back & forth about 1/4" or so? don't think it's supposed to do that? anyway, hope it does ok - going to charlotte this weekend to watch the fastest accelerating anything on the planet...the top fuel dragsters, and fuel funny cars. when you can take a 500 cubic inch motor and make 8000 hp, it's a beautiful thing! 0-100 mph in .8 sec, it'll make your inners SHAKE! i'll probably drop the fuel tank to look at pressure sensor & haven't taken evap cannister down to look at it yet...guess there's still time. do you have any recommendations for a scan tool with bidirectional capibility, that won't require a second mortgage to pay for? take care.
Old September 14th, 2011, 7:39 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by nitroholic
hey Kevinkpk - well I checked the underhood fuse block. there is no fuse actually marked as eng1 like the Haynes book says it does, but I did a continuity check on every fuse in the whole truck, engine compartment & instrament panel - all were good. took voltage readings on all that were marked ign, pcm, etc...all were 12.3 or higher. so I unhooked the connector at the vent valve, it had 12+ volts, and checked it at the purge valve, and it was 12+ volts.? so, I'm leaning towards a leak in the system somewhere? i did notice on the evap cannister - it has quick disconnects on the lines...on the one coming from the vent valve (on the cannister itself) it's kinda loose - it'll move back & forth about 1/4" or so? don't think it's supposed to do that? anyway, hope it does ok - going to charlotte this weekend to watch the fastest accelerating anything on the planet...the top fuel dragsters, and fuel funny cars. when you can take a 500 cubic inch motor and make 8000 hp, it's a beautiful thing! 0-100 mph in .8 sec, it'll make your inners SHAKE! i'll probably drop the fuel tank to look at pressure sensor & haven't taken evap cannister down to look at it yet...guess there's still time. do you have any recommendations for a scan tool with bidirectional capibility, that won't require a second mortgage to pay for? take care.
I have an actron, it will read and clear for a 60-70$ at autozone. Best of luck!