Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power drain

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2015, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power drain

New here, so forgive me if I am duplicating stuff - tried a search, got no luck. Chasing down a power drain - about 1.7 amps. Narrowed it down to the courtesy light circuit - pulled the CTSY (#3) fuse and no more power drain.

Truck is a '97 K1500 W/T with the 4.3L six. manual tranny and manual 2-4-H-L - no power locks or windows. And complete with working cassette player..........

I am "guessing" it's the interior light control module. Good guess? There does not seem to be anything else on that circuit that could consume power without a light being on, and there are no lights on anywhere in the vehicle (I disconnected the underhood light as a precaution). The dome light works exactly as it should - comes on with door opening, and times out properly.

So, where do I get a replacement module? Is the dealer the only option? Do they even have them any more? Looked at RockAuto but no luck.

Thanks..
Old November 25th, 2015, 10:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have a light in the glove box? Seem to remember having a problem with one not going out when the glove box was shut. I can't recall what circuit it was on though.
Old November 26th, 2015, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

No - no lights on anywhere.
Old November 26th, 2015, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

is there anything in the cig lighter that could be pulling amperage/shorting? Put the fuse back in and start unplugging stuff on the circuit watching the draw.
Old November 27th, 2015, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Per the circuit diagram I have, there are only bulbs and switches on CTSY circuit, all controlled by the Interior Lamp Module - it's a 2 door work truck, and they are pretty basic, wind up windows, no remote locking, or vanity mirror lights, etc., etc., to be powered. And the lighter is not on that circuit either.

I have a diagram for the earlier model, which does not have a control module, and is much simpler as a result. As far as I can tell, all that module really does different is provide the time out function for the dome light. If the module is not available, or is too pricey, I will probably just "wire it out", leaving the dome light to come on when the door opens and go off when it closes - just like the earlier trucks.

I also realized the underhood light is on a different circuit, so I can hook that back up again.

Last edited by jackthelad; November 27th, 2015 at 2:50 PM.