Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2012, 4:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump?

On my 97 K1500 5.7L 350 V8 when im driving and turning to the right if it hasnt been driving most of the day it will feel like nothing is behind the steering wheel then it catches up and almost launches me off the road. most of the time i know when its goona happen so it hasnt been a huge problem. but i live in the higher mountains of idaho and in a snow storm yesterday it did it in a canyon i drive alot and i barley kept my truck from meeting the creek at the bottom. so now i am sure it has to be fixed if i wanna keep the truck around. the power steering fluid looks good and Im not losing any is it just my pump getting old and not working right or what? it does not do this if the truck has been running for more then an hour
Thanks for your help and ideas Nick
Old February 24th, 2012, 8:14 PM
CF Junior Member

My first reaction was that you either have contaminated fluid or air in your power steering system. First, I would jack your front und up, start the engine, slowly turn the steering wheel all the way left. If it jurks and grabs you have air in the line. You can purge the line by loosening the power steering cap and turning the wheel slowly as far as it will go until you hit resistance then go the other way. Keep the fluid full and the air will work its way out . If this doesn't sound like the issue, remove the fluid from the power steering pump and fill with new DOT 3. I would try these before replacing the pump. Good luck.
Old February 24th, 2012, 8:29 PM
CF Active Member

I got my mighty vac and got all the fluid out of the resivior and filled it back up with new fluid and purged it like you said and away it went and its been doing good now i just have to quit jerking it the other way to compensate for something that is gone thank you for the help and you probably saved my life so i owe you one for sure
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gundog
My first reaction was that you either have contaminated fluid or air in your power steering system. First, I would jack your front und up, start the engine, slowly turn the steering wheel all the way left. If it jurks and grabs you have air in the line. You can purge the line by loosening the power steering cap and turning the wheel slowly as far as it will go until you hit resistance then go the other way. Keep the fluid full and the air will work its way out . If this doesn't sound like the issue, remove the fluid from the power steering pump and fill with new DOT 3. I would try these before replacing the pump. Good luck.
dot 3 in a power steering pump?? elaborate please?? I would think that'd be a huge mistake
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Cleveland is right, I need to get my head out of my #@$. Please use pawer steering fluid, Dot 3 is for the brakes. Thanks for the catch Cleveland.
Old February 25th, 2012, 6:27 PM
CF Junior Member

NKH34 Glad I could help, a cold beer one day
Old February 25th, 2012, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Quick question does it do it on slight turn (35mph curve)then steering turns super easy?If thats what its doing it needs a evo sensor(electronic variable orifice sensor) this steering system will give you full assist in parking lot manuevers and less assist at higher speeds,when cruising and sensor glitches steering goes to full assist giving a oversteer condition.
Old February 26th, 2012, 8:41 AM
CF Active Member

It was just at any speed until i had drivin it for awhile it seems to be fixed but if it returns i will replace the sensor
Old March 8th, 2012, 7:47 PM
CF Active Member

So its back again I am goign to try the evo sensor since its still to the right and there is no leaks. What i need to know is would this part also be called a steeringwheel speed sensor(auto zones web site.) Or i also saw somewhere else that you can only get this part at the dealer unfortunatley the closest dealer is 100 miles away and 50 of it is in a canyon that is dangerous enough without your steering being dumb if anyone can help me find this part it would help out alot.
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Before you replace sensor, look under dash above sensor and if its never been replaced there will be a rubberband holdin connector and unplug sensor,this will cause steering to stay in full assist then drive and see if problem coming back if it does then i would replace steering gear because pump does not know what direction you are turning.hope this helps with diag

Quick Reply: Power steering pump?