Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing an XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2011, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing an XM Radio

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic. The AM node on my radio has gone out and I want to replace it with a radio that allows me to continue with my XM subscription.

I'm being told by Best Buy that in addition to purchasing a radio I also have to purchase a new XM antennae - apparently the one i have now (the original) is not compatible with an after market XM radio. I'm also told the existing wiring for my steering wheel controls will also have to be re-done.

Does anyone have any experience with changing out an XM radio on this model? If so, I could certainly use your knowledge.

And if you have any opinions on brands of XM radios I would like to hear them

Thanks in advance.
Old December 17th, 2011, 5:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Might check ebay and see if you can find a factory radio and it should all be plug and play except for the registration of the new XM radio ID....

Don't let them BS you into paying a fee for registering a new radio ID...if they say you have to pay a fee just tell them never mind and to cancel your subscription...they will but..but..well okay... but just this one time we will wave the fee.......jackasses... (been there done that)
Old December 18th, 2011, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i choose to go with an after market radio do you have any suggestions? I'd like to take that route so i can have an ipod connection. I'm being told that the XM antennae already on my truck may not be acceptable to the after market radio i purchase??