Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Storing Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2015, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing Spare Tire

Hi!
I am trying to re-install my spare, but the dreaded secondary latch WON'T engage... Yes, I want it to work so the spare is secure- my dad lost his spare after the cable snapped and no latch system was in place. I can't have that happen when we are far from home, as we often are!

I set everything up according to the manual, crank the spare up and when I lower it again, the latch isn't in place- the tire comes right down.

It looks like when there is tension on the cable (ie. the weight of the tire), the latch won't engage. We set up some blocks to support the tire and take the weight off the cable and sure enough the latch did hook on, but the tire is left hanging loose under the bed. As soon as we crank it up, then lower it again to test the latch, the tire comes right down.

Is there a trick to get it to re-engage? It seems to move freely, but could some part be ceased?

Oh- and I can't store the spare in the bed - I often have a camper on it packed with gear/kids!!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old December 11th, 2015, 6:31 PM
CF Junior Member

What year is your truck? The reason I ask is that there doesn't seem to be this latch on my 98.
Old December 11th, 2015, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

It's a 2004. Forgot to write that in!