Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 5:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

single rear wheel or dually?

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single rear wheel or dually?

Hey everybody! I currently have a 2011 Silverado with the max trailer tow package (6.2L) and it is overkill for my boat that I pull but am now upgrading to a fifth wheel camper. I have checked local laws and as long as I am below a certain length (65') I can tandem tow the fifth wheeler and the boat behind that. I am looking at smaller fifth wheel campers that will weigh about 8-9K lbs empty, hitch weight around 1400lbs, and my boat weighs 5800lbs loaded. In the end I will be around the 15k lbs range and need to upgrade trucks to a diesel Silverado. We normally take one to two long 8 hr trips one way and several more local trips (2 hrs away) per year. I have to DAILY drive this truck all year though. So, anybody's input would be appreciated to guide me in the direction of a dually or single rear wheel truck. Idealy I would like to have a standard bed 2500 diesel due to the daily driving aspect. I will be looking at 09-10 year models and believe they can tow 16700 lbs with the fifth wheel set up but is that going to do ok? Is it that much better to have a dually when the other 280 days of the year I am not pulling all of that and probably just my light boat? I have never owned a dually but always a half ton silverado. Right away I know I would have to buy two more tires and rotating them will be fun. Just looking for pros and cons and overall input. Thanks!
Old January 17th, 2012, 5:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The worst thing about a dually will be when your wife takes it to the local drive-thru fast food joint. Those fat fenders don't do well against those yellow poles made of concrete!
Old January 18th, 2012, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

Well I think some drive thrus will be out. Especially for my wife! I drove a crew cab dually yesterday and didn't think it was overly crazy to drive. Coming from my 40' diesel pusher rv it certainly isn't but I parked it in a few spots around town and pretty much every standard spot I had each rear wheel on the line, not in it.
Old January 18th, 2012, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

As far as traction goes, obviously you will have drastically improved results with the dually. and a little more of a solid base for that 5th wheel to sit on. That being said, I've got a 2500HD (6.0L) with a goose neck and I can do just fine with my single tires as long as I'm in recommended weight spec's. Though, I'm hauling a lot less weight than you will be planning on so take what I've said with a grain of salt. If you can swing the extra $ for the tires, dont mind the extra time swapping and rotating them, and dont care about the loss of the drive through option, I would say get the dually. Walking into the fast food joint is better for your health anyways.
Old January 18th, 2012, 4:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dually adds more traction for 2WD vehicles but the chief advantage is in increasing the maximum payload with the extra two rims and tires. In your example the payload or total weight on the rear axle is not going to be a problem even with the 5th wheel mount.

With the new 2011-2102 trucks the dually configuration adds roughly 1000 lbs. to the max payload taking it from about 2800 lbs to 3700 lbs. on average. Payload decreases with diesel engine and Allison trans and with 4WD. The 18" rims and tires with the current 3500 models adds another 900 lbs. of theoretical load capacity to the rear axle.

Inside the glovebox of the truck will be a sticker that gives the max payload as set by the factory in the stock configuration. Add in the 1400 lbs. for the 5th wheel and the weight of your passengers and you should easily be within that figure.
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input! I drove another dually today (08) and has really low miles. Wondering what the fuel mileage difference is between SRW and DRW....I know you don't buy trucks for their fuel economy but daily driving it may make a little difference. Also, if a dually primarily just ads to bigger payloads, I don't believe I need one. I was thinking the heavier dually with two extra tires would aid in downhill stopping should I be in a situation where I have 15k lbs behind me. Is this right? Does anybody think the extra stability of the dually is worth the hastle of driving it everyday to work 20 mi one way?
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stopping power depends upon the brakes and the trans downshifting and the torque converter locking and with a 2011-2012 diesel engine, the exhaust brake.

Good review of 1 ton trucks with heavy tow loads and 2,000 mile tests of Ford, Dodge, and Chevy at mrtrailer.com. Look for "Hurt Locker".
Old January 19th, 2012, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks! I will check that out. I'm feeling like a 2500HD as I also stumbled on information that you pretty much burn through a complete set of tires every 18-20k mi! Ouch especially adding a fifth and sixth tire!