Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2008, 6:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: temp sensor

yeah is that wrong
Old February 9th, 2008, 6:07 PM
Super Moderator

No, an external gauge is cheaper alternative than getting a new cluster form the dealer. What you can do, if you wantto stay oem,is get a used cluster from a junk yard, ebay, or a pick-a-part and replace the stepper motor. The only problem is that the used motor may not work either. Have you taken the dash apart yet?
Old February 9th, 2008, 6:11 PM
CF Junior Member

no i already bought this external one and i'm just going to keep the stock one in the gauge cluster but i don't know how to put this one in cause i don't know where the warning light sendor is. do you happen to know???
Old February 9th, 2008, 6:24 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea where it would be.I never installed one in amore modern vehicle, only in my '70 ford which everything is easy to find in. usually there are there are three wires too hook up, positive, ground, and one goes to thetemp sending unit on the engine. Non for the warning light, mainly because the warnong light is controlled by the computer and not by the temp gauge on is own. The temp gauge is only a reading that you are seeing after the computer recieves it.The sending unit sends a signal to the computer (which then does its thing and controlls the warning light), then the computer sends the signal to the gauge so you can see how the engine is doing and make sure there is no problems.
Old February 10th, 2008, 2:44 PM
CF Junior Member

alright well thanks anyway man i'll let you know how i goes...
Old February 10th, 2008, 3:35 PM
Super Moderator

When you figure it out andthe external gauge is the right size, you can probably get one of those pillar gauge mounts. That would look awsome.
Old February 10th, 2008, 7:16 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah but i broke after buying all this other stuff so maybe that will happen later down the road
Old February 10th, 2008, 7:34 PM
CF Active Member

you can go down to your parts store and buy a manual for your truck.. i told you either the temp sensors or guage lol.. sorry you had to buy the other stuff. but there usually not that expensive, maybe 20-30 bucks. im not to sure off the top of my head where that wire is.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
CF Junior Member

yeah i have a manual but they don't call it a warning light sendor. its that top temp sensor that i replace this gauge with. but yeah i figured it was the gauge but i didn't want to get it until i absolutly knew you know and these temp sensors were cheap. but the water pump was one of those things where i mine as well replace it while i'm here you know. its old enough to do it. and the power steeringpully was just a"out of the blue" thing.but thank you guys very much and i hope i can help you guys out later on down the road about your problems.
Old February 13th, 2008, 3:25 PM
CF Junior Member

well guys i figuried out that it was not my gauge that was messed up. so now i think it is my head gasket. but if you guys think it could be something else let me know and i will try it.

Quick Reply: temp sensor