Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 4th, 2015, 3:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

theft-deterrent system HELP...

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2015, 7:56 PM
bmh
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It began with a failed remote start and several more attempts. We have figured that the theft system engaged. We have determined the fuel pump does work but the electronics are not letting power to be properly connected to it {anti-theft] ON A 2009 GMC SIERRA

Last edited by bmh; January 3rd, 2015 at 7:59 PM. Reason: FORGOT TO SAY 2009 GMC
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default same problem

did u find any out I got same problem

Originally Posted by twins225
i have a 2008 silverado. i just went to start it and the security anti-theft lock is armed on the truck. i can't start the truck at all. i called onstar to have them help me trouble shoot and they just told me to let it sit for 15 minutes and then try again with a spare key. that still didn't work. they say i have to have the truck towed to the dealer to have it reset. is there anything else i can do to get the truck to start????
Old April 2nd, 2015, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bmh
It began with a failed remote start and several more attempts. We have figured that the theft system engaged. We have determined the fuel pump does work but the electronics are not letting power to be properly connected to it {anti-theft] ON A 2009 GMC SIERRA
Hi did you find that your remote starter was causing your "service theft deterrent system" message/issues? I'm currently having the same issue. My 07 suburban won't start with a fully charged battery. (Getting same massage: "service theft deterrent system").
Old June 5th, 2015, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Theft system

Originally Posted by Papa@MamaPassarelli.com
Guess you were lucky. I took both positive and negative cables off and held them together for a minute for my Silverado and still have the problem. Guess I'm going to have to have it towed.....
Try turning the key on until the yellow lock goes out on the instrument panel about 10 minutes. Turn key off and do it again 2 more times then after 3 cycles, pull key out and put back in and it should start.
Old July 8th, 2016, 1:24 AM
CF Beginner

Is there a recall on the 2007 gmc for the theft deterrent? My truck won't start and I have tried everything on this page to try and reset it. I think gm should have to foot the bill for this kind of hassle !
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default What ended up getting done?

What was the part that needed to be replaced?
Old November 19th, 2016, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Service theft deterrent system

I tried this on my 07 Impala but didn't have much luck. I'm still having the same light on "service theft deterrent system". My car has been like this for about a week now. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it
Old March 25th, 2017, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default This is the only thing that helped me

"Try turning the key on until the yellow lock goes out on the instrument panel about 10 minutes. Turn key off and do it again 2 more times then after 3 cycles, pull key out and put back in and it should start."
Old August 21st, 2017, 2:04 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cindy Routon Tyler
I left the lights on my car last night and battery is dead. I have messed with it so much I think I've done something to the theft deterrent system. I cannot get the keys out of the ignition (yes we tried wiggling the gear shift & the steering wheel, etc.) My key fob does not work, I've pushed those buttons. I cannot get to the battery as it is in that back end of my car & I can't get the hatchback to open up (it's locked). Anybody have any suggestions?
look under the ignition on the steering colum there is a hole that you can use a screwdriver or something to push a button that releases your key.
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Key stuck

Originally Posted by Cindy Routon Tyler
I left the lights on my car last night and battery is dead. I have messed with it so much I think I've done something to the theft deterrent system. I cannot get the keys out of the ignition (yes we tried wiggling the gear shift & the steering wheel, etc.) My key fob does not work, I've pushed those buttons. I cannot get to the battery as it is in that back end of my car & I can't get the hatchback to open up (it's locked). Anybody have any suggestions?
​​​​​​If e battery is dead the key won't come out. Try hooking up a jump box or cable from another car then you can take the key out. I found out the battery posts in the engine worth a crap hooking straight to the battery in trunk gives you better connection.

Quick Reply: theft-deterrent system HELP...