Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck won't idle

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2013, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't idle

I have a problem that has me stumped. I have a 1998 silverado with 181,000 miles. About 6 months ago the truck started running rough on deceleration it would skip and sometimes it would cut completely off and then come back on. I have relplaced the distributor cap and rotor, ignition module, coil, the plugs and wires and the problem still persists. It seems that when I relplaced the coil it ran good for a week and the problem came back, and the same thing happened when I changed the module, as well as when i changed the cap and rotor. Most of my problems happen on deceleration like when i come up to a stop sign. The rpms will begin to fluctuate and sometimes it will just shut off. It aslo happens when I let it idle for long periods of time. If it gets warmed up it will eventually start to idle roughly and then cut off. As I am about to get frustrated with this thing any ideas would be appreciated.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

EGR valve maybe? Is computer throwing any codes?
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Computer is throwing codes but I haven't had a chance to check it. I checked this morning and I'm not getting any spark. Is there a chance that I got a rebuilt coil and it has already gone bad? Does anybody know the resistance I should get when checking the coil with a multimeter?