Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2009 Chevy Aveo (Air Intake Issue)

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2013, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Chevy Aveo (Air Intake Issue)

So I have an issue regarding my air intake system. I noticed my CEL came on and so I had my friend run it to check for codes. It came up with 3 separate ones - P2270, P0171, P0131 - and so of course we dove in and tried to see what was going on. Well we noticed that after the MAF sensor, the tube that conects from the MAF to the throttle body has a tear in it. So of course, this is something I wanted to replace (part#96808176). So after speaking with the dealer (since this part must be bought through the dealer), they are having me buy a completely different part (which connects from the air filter to the throttle body and includes the MAF sensor. I explained I don't need this whole part and only this tube which is about 10" long and has a 90 degree shift on it. Of course this is coming out to $215.32 (though I've seen some places where you can buy it for lowest $129.00) but I feel as if I don't need to replace this whole unit and I should be able to get this outlet tube only and not what the dealership is telling. Has anyone else had this issue as well? And it looks like I need to replace the camshaft cover because it looks (reallys sounds) like the diaphram in the PCV has blown.

Please, help me on this.....I'm at my wits end

Last edited by nickshrpshter; December 28th, 2013 at 8:14 PM.
Old December 28th, 2013, 7:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the air intake snorkel is sold as an assembly. Its not the dealers fault; that's how its listed.

I hear ya though. For that price I'd be going to the hardware store to see if I could make my own.
Old December 28th, 2013, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the air intake snorkel is sold as an assembly. Its not the dealers fault; that's how its listed.

I hear ya though. For that price I'd be going to the hardware store to see if I could make my own.

Oh I don't blame them at all but I was just trying to figure out if there was a different way or if they sold that part separately. But it looks like the whole unit is what I have to buy. Any recommendations on through who I should buy it from? If the dealer is the best then I will do it.
Old December 28th, 2013, 9:17 PM
Super Moderator

factory would be the easiest but most expensive and no dtc would set(that could happen with a homemade unit).

I was thinking removing the entire air filter box then installing a open cone filter and connecting it will pcv pipe and some adapters. drill a hole and mount the iat sensor and your done.
Old January 26th, 2014, 5:39 AM
CF Beginner

I had the exact same problem with our 2010 Aveo. I ended up buying the snorkel tube for $213.00 and believe me, the dealer knew that I was not a happy camper. The dealer told me that it was only one part. I took a screwdriver out of my pocket and loosened the hose clamp and took the mass air flow sensor off the snorkel. I pointed out that it was two parts, with two separate GM part numbers and I didn't need the sensor, I only wanted the tube. They then told me that it was two different parts but they are not sold separately. Nothing seemed to matter to them, I had no choice and they knew it. I believe that GM designed it that way on purpose, it's a different size on each end with a 90 degree bend on one end, making it impossible to match it up to a universal flexible radiator hose. Believe me, I tried before I gave in. That is not the only part that can only be obtained at the dealer. Wait until you end up having to pay over $100.00 for a "plain-Jane" transmission filter, or $18.00 per quart for the AFT, none of which can be found anywhere except the dealer. Spark plugs are another item. We got a recall and they replaced the rubber boots on the coil pack and put different heat range spark plugs in it. When it came time to replace the plugs, I found that the new plugs were not available at any of the local parts stores.(the original ones were) Another dealer item, at about $10.00 per plug. I bought it back to the dealer at 12,000 miles because it was eating front tires. They replaced the upper strut mounts and aligned the front end under warranty but they refused to replace the tries. This is supposed to be GM's economy car but the only economical part about it is that it gets 35 MPG.
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Back in Nov/13 with a friend (dealer), I bought a 2009 Chevy Aveo LT for sell in a dealership auction, even thought I knew it that the car was a lemon, thinking will be something easy to fix.
9 months later not able to sell the car, I already expend like a $900 in several other things related with oxygen sensors and shortcut with the brake-pedal to unlock the shift.
Still has codes P2270 & P0171 and 5 different mechanics versions (between $400-$1,000) how to solve. As "nickshrpshter" had described perfectly are too many uncertain things, and not even able to register for myself because not pass a NY inspection.
I called a Chevy dealer and they said they will need to inspect before give any recommendation (and I could imagine their bill or estimate).
So don't know what to do? Any real solution and what parts exactly I could try to order online aside Chevy's dealers? - Thanks in advance
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

BTW 2 more things: this one it's only doing 21mpg (air intake issue of course, some said PCV, other coils and sparkplugs and other the MAF sensors). And absolutely true about eating tires, all 4 look like already rotated and is shaking a lot at the point than others drivers stopped me and say you have a problem with the tires. So are in a terrible bad shapes. Now with "Dan Robertson" comment know why.
Old July 8th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

get an alignment check and see what the toe setting is. The front and or rear toe may be out of spec. If its the front, a simple toe adjustment is all that is needed. If its the rear, alignment shims will have to be installed behind the rear spindles to correct it.

if you do nothing, it will continue to eat new tires.