Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Replacing Starter on Aveo Help Please Top Bolt Problem

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2016, 1:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Starter on Aveo Help Please Top Bolt Problem

Hi guys I searched the forums and internet still no results on the matter. I have worked on many cars and never had a problem replacing the starter this particular car is a PITA. I got the bottom stud off and got the positive terminal off I am having a huge problem removing the top bolt. I finally took off the heater hose and reserve tank pipe with more access to the bolt. But still will not come off, I finally found out that there is a piece of metal behind the bolt that will not let the wrench get on the bolt 100% maybe 25% can fit on. Can some one guide me on how to remove this top bolt. The car is a 2004 aveo if that helps any.
Old June 21st, 2017, 6:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my starter on a 2009 Aveo and thought I'd add some info to this post.
You'll be under the car to remove the bottom mounting bolt and the two electrical connections, then in the engine compartment reaching over the engine to remove the top mounting bolt.
1) Disconnect the battery for safety and put the car on ramps or jack stands (not too high because the top bolt is accessed from the engine compartment)
The two starter mounting bolts are 12MM (or 1/2 inch works). The electrical connections were 12MM and 7MM on mine.
2) from under the car disconnect the two starter wires then use a deep well socket to remove the bottom bolt/stud because the stud has two nuts. One is for the ground wire plus one for the starter frame.
3) for the top bolt - go at it from the top/engine compartment with a wrench because there isn't enough room to get a socket on it. You will be doing this by feel but it is easy to reach.