Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling
Print Wikipost

05 tahoe trailer wiring harness problem HELP

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2007, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 tahoe trailer wiring harness problem HELP

I have a 2005 Tahoe with factory towing package.

I am using a Tekonsha Primus electric (proportional) brake controller.

The controller was installed with a 'plug and play' pre terminated harness to the wiring block adjacent to the parking brake on the firewall.

All of my trailer lights and brakes work great.

However, the seven pin connector has no powerto the 12 V fused (+)terminal. I have probed the RED wire behind the connector and no power hereeither. The harness makes it's way onto the frame and towards the front of the car.I cannot trace it all the way to the front of the truck.

There is a 30A fusable link post installed at the STUD 2 location at the power panel under the hood. I have removed the over to the power panel and there is a RED wire terminated onto the post adjacent to the STUD 2. The actual stud isHOT.When I remove the fusable link, my break controller does not work.

I have check the multiple fuse box locations and cannot locate any fuse with a marking for 'trlr accry' or anything similiar for the trailer accessory 12V 'fused' hot lead.I have been able to locate the stop/tail/turn, runningand back up lamp fuses.

What am I missing here?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that they can share?

I would like to tie this into my break away battery for charging as well as to provide an emergency worklight.

Thanks in advance.

marc

Old October 28th, 2007, 6:05 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 05 tahoe trailer wiring harness problem HELP

OK, go back under the hood to the fusepanel. When standing on the outside of the fender looking at the box you will see a red block off plug at the upper left hand corner. On top of the plastic plug it should say B+. This is the feed for the 12v at the 7way. I cant remember if it was 05 or 06 theychanged tothe Jcase fuse. If there's Maxi Fuses instead of the jcase fuses then it will be the futherest left at the top of the box again standing at the side of the fender.
Jcase fuse is square with clear top
Maxi looks like a normal fuse bug bigger.

If that doesn't help shoot a picture of the underhood box and I'll spot it for you.

Its been a while since I've done the maxi style so forgive me if I'm wrong........I have an 04 at my shop so I'll check it tommorrow, if you don't find it.

Old October 29th, 2007, 5:28 AM
CF Beginner

E:

Thanks for your response.

In my 05, the red plug was located at the Stud 2 location at theupperright side of the box. This is where the 30 A fuse/fusible link post (Jcase fuse as you called it)was installed. The fuse came with the loose harness as part of the trailer wiring kit.

There are no Maxi fuses in this vehicle.

Do you have access to a wiring diagram?

marc
Old October 29th, 2007, 8:01 AM
e
CF Senior Member

if its the j fuses than your needing to be at stud#1 not #2. This is located again standing outside at the fender upper left corner. Flip over the lid and there should be a diagram. But STUD #1 is the one needed
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

e:

Stud 1 (the left side of the box) already has a fuse/fusible link in it. The owners manual is vaugue as to it's purpose.

The red B+ plug and all info refers to Stud 2 (the right side of the box). This was replaced with the 30A post fuse provided with the harness.

I did not use the harness as the contoller came with a vehicle specific pre-terminated cable that pluged into the fuse panel and the brake controller.

Are their hidden'loose' wires, like with the new trucks that need to be connected.

BTW, I could not believe that I had to unbolt the fender/firewall support bracket to remove the cover from the main fuse box under the hood.

I will take another look tonight at the fuse box and Stud1 (if there is dayhlight when I get home.)

marc
Old October 29th, 2007, 1:29 PM
e
CF Senior Member

we never removed the braces to remove the lid. I'm telling you without a shadow of a doubt that the stud #1 is for the 12v charge 7way. Check the fuse if might be blown which I believe it is. This is a straight feed to the back so unless someone cut the wire it should be ok.
Old July 12th, 2014, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by e
OK, go back under the hood to the fusepanel. When standing on the outside of the fender looking at the box you will see a red block off plug at the upper left hand corner. On top of the plastic plug it should say B+. This is the feed for the 12v at the 7way. I cant remember if it was 05 or 06 theychanged tothe Jcase fuse. If there's Maxi Fuses instead of the jcase fuses then it will be the futherest left at the top of the box again standing at the side of the fender.
Jcase fuse is square with clear top
Maxi looks like a normal fuse bug bigger.

If that doesn't help shoot a picture of the underhood box and I'll spot it for you.

Its been a while since I've done the maxi style so forgive me if I'm wrong........I have an 04 at my shop so I'll check it tommorrow, if you don't find it.
Thanks for this fantastic info. I just got a 2005 Silverado and camper and could not find why I didn't have power to the trailer receptacle. Thanks again for being so emphatic