Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help finding a shop to balance 24 inch tires

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2011, 9:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help finding a shop to balance 24 inch tires

hey all haven't posted in awhile so here goes.
just took off my OEM 20s and swapped them for brand new 24" rims with 305/35/24 tires. i got them new as a package deal off eBay for rims tires already mounted and balanced. problem is when i am driving anywhere from 45mph to 75 mph i get a steering wheel shimmy not severe and do feel a slight vibration from the back. i am using hub-rings but they don't fit the center hub tightly. they slide over easily leaving no open space but it can move slightly side to side. i don't know if this is my issue or if my tires are out of balanced. i have heard since these r 24s they are hard to balance since they use sticky weights on the inside of the wheel. the company i bought from responded promptly to my problem and said that sometimes during shipping wheels can become out of balance due to weights falling off. i do see a ton of weights on the inside of each rim and in some spots piled over each other . most people are telling me that they are just out of balance but i don't want to go through taking them all off and bringing them somewhere to get balanced if my problem is the hub rings . its nothing that really effects the drive quality because it only shakes a little and i know people who would just deal with it but seeing how i spent a lot of money on these i don't want it to be like that i no the ride is going to be a bit rougher on 24s anyways so i want it to at least still be as close as possible to the old tires . thanks everyone and i will post a link below where you can see pics of my new rims on the truck http://www.cardomain.com/ride/387183...hevrolet-tahoe
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More than likely they need balancing. Most of those types of palces do not have very good balancers. By what you are describing (tons of weights) they are not balanced correctly. Did you find any weights in the boxes? You should get the correct centering rings though.
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:41 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah i didn't find any because they were not in a box they were stacked and wrapped up in plastic on a pallet so its likely that one could have fallen under the pallet and got lost. so any idea where i can go that might be able to balance these without damaging them or exactly how snug the hubring should fit?
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Always looking to learn, so what is a "hub centering ring"?
Old July 26th, 2011, 9:24 PM
CF Junior Member

they are the plastic or in some cases aluminum rings that fit over the factory hub and fill the gap between your hub and your new aftermarket wheels hub bore so they can be centered hubcentric and not lugcentric. without them there only thing centering the wheel is the lugnuts and thats usually not enough and also can bend your studs. you dont need them if you are swapping for other factory wheels because the wheel is made specifically for that hub. hope this makes sence
Old July 28th, 2011, 7:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May try your dealer, they usually have "better" equipment to work with. I 2nd the part about getting the correct centering rings, anything loose on a wheel is BAD! Get that part fixed, then try to run it again before you rebalance.
Old July 28th, 2011, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the other post said:
Check the balancing somewhere like Sears that has a good machine.
Check the hubcentric. I did both of those and the problem turned out to be the lug nuts. Try extended thread lugs or open lugs if the balancing or hub is not the problem.