Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Black Bear Tune - Best thing I ever did

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2013, 5:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Bear Tune - Best thing I ever did

Just got it done yesterday. Turned off AFM, increased throttle response, better shifts, great mod! I highly recommend it for anyone looking for one.
Old December 13th, 2013, 7:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

using more gas?
Old December 14th, 2013, 11:14 AM
CF Junior Member

They said it will get about the same if not a little better, yet to be determined though. Will report back when I get some miles on it.

I will say my foot is in it a little more now....
Old December 14th, 2013, 1:01 PM
CF Active Member

What happens to the tune if your vehicle is taken to the dealer for warranty repairs and they find that aftermarket tune in the ECM? Just wondering if it voids the warranty and if the tune gets erased. Thats why i went with a programmer
Old December 14th, 2013, 1:24 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

It might affect the powertrain warranty but the dealer would have to substantially prove the tune was the contributing factor to the failure. I believe I read in another form were Justin will reprogram the ECM if the dealer wipes it.
Old December 14th, 2013, 2:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joeincharlotte
Just got it done yesterday. Turned off AFM, increased throttle response, better shifts, great mod! I highly recommend it for anyone looking for one.
What is the process to get this tune? And how much is the bigger question? Any HP increase claims?
Old December 14th, 2013, 3:00 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Typerod
What is the process to get this tune? And how much is the bigger question? Any HP increase claims?

Google black bear performance.
Old December 14th, 2013, 7:58 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
It might affect the powertrain warranty but the dealer would have to substantially prove the tune was the contributing factor to the failure. I believe I read in another form were Justin will reprogram the ECM if the dealer wipes it.
Thanks, i was just wondering if they would re-tune if wiped.
Old December 15th, 2013, 5:10 AM
CF Junior Member

It was $300. He traveled to Charlotte and did a bunch of trucks while here. Check out his website, he's got a few options but that worked for me. He's on Facebook too. Black Bear Performance :: Custom Tuning Solutions for 96 and newer GM Vehicles

LT4Life: I would suggest waiting for the warranty to expire. If a dealer does flash it and remove the tune, Justin will redo it. If he's not nearby, he will send you another one with your tune and you have to send yours back to him as a core.
Old December 16th, 2013, 7:45 PM
CF Active Member

I tried turning off AFM using HP Tuner, the mileage went to crap quick. Sure my foot caused some of it but you really will miss AFM if you do any highway driving.

So far tweaking the ecm with HP Tuners and some mild exhaust work as well as a complete trans rebuild(Beast Sunshell and Corvette servo's), my tahoe gets roughly 17mpg. Not bad all things considered. Plus I have 189k on it.

Quick Reply: Black Bear Tune - Best thing I ever did