Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 tahoe arnott industries shock install question

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2013, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 tahoe arnott industries shock install question

i have just joined this forum. i got some good info on where to purchase my shocks. everyone on here raved about arnott industries. i purchased all 4 shocks and the air pump. (sk-2126 front, as-2127) rear kit was i just installed it all over the weekend.

My question is to anyone that has put this same kit in there 2001 tahoe with autoride. all 4 shocks came with a sensor that pluged into the original electronic dampening system and would trick the original system to remove the check ride control light on the dash. the light is still on the dash it had gone out the first day but came on the next. I am wondering if i was suposed to have removed the arms from the original ride sensors. and is the abs tied into the ride control? my check ride control light does not come on until i am doing about 5km/h or so some times a little faster.

Any feedback into your experience would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks very much Steve
Old May 27th, 2013, 7:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2007 took a few days to settle down. It came and went, and finally stayed gone. Hows the ride compared to before?
Old May 27th, 2013, 8:27 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by steev-oh
I have just joined this forum. I got some good info on where to purchase my shocks. Everyone on here raved about Arnott industries. I purchased all 4 shocks and the air pump. (sk-2126 front, as-2127) rear kit was I just installed it all over the weekend.

My question is to anyone that has put this same kit in there 2001 tahoe with autoride. all 4 shocks came with a sensor that plugged into the original electronic dampening system and would trick the original system to remove the check ride control light on the dash. The light is still on the dash it had gone out the first day but came on the next. I am wondering if I was supposed to have removed the arms from the original ride sensors. And is the ABS tied into the ride control? My check ride control light does not come on until I am doing about 5km/hr or so some times a little faster.

Any feedback into your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much Steve
Welcome to the forum.

Have you contacted Arnott? I'm sure they could answer your question.
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

The ride is night and day, no more bouncing after a bump and the handling is 100% better, mind you my rear shocks were split and all 4 I'm guessing were original. I would recommend the arnott industries kit to anyone, you cant go wrong with the price. I'm in Canada and to have it to my door for 1200 is amazing. I have not contacted arnott yet, I thought I would throw the question out there first to see what others have done. I thought about disconnecting the battery for the night and letting the computer do its thing maybe it would clear.
On the 07 did you have the ride sensors? Other than the electronic dampening?
Thanks for the feed back, I will wait and see if it clears soon maybe its a key stroke thing before the computer realizes its fine.

Steve
Old May 28th, 2013, 1:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well. for my 07 I put in new air pump at 96k mi and new rear air shocks at 121k mi. I got the Bilstein air-shocks with the bypass sensor built into the top.
Old May 28th, 2013, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

What caused you to go with the Arnott/Bilstein shocks? Did you have issues with your autoride system? I'm thinking of doing the same with my 02 Tahoe.
Old May 29th, 2013, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

my service ride control light was on and the truck bounced and the leveling air pump didn't work.
my rear shocks were split and the rubber bladder was torn.
I searched for new shocks and came across this forum that is how I found arnott industries I was not able to find anyone that was that cheap in Canada and arnott stood behind their product and now they teamed up with bilstien so I couldn't go wrong. I looked around my area and I was getting prices of 350 and up per shock and $800 for the airpump because everyone says itt was a dealer item.

I am still unsure about disconnecting those original ride sensor arms. we have had some rain and today my light is out maybe I just have a bad connection. now that the rain has stopped we will see what happens with it. I don't know about the performance of other shocks but like I said the difference is night and day to what I had. the air pump works perfect the back end sits up high and when I hit bumps it doesn't bounce and its not so hard everything shakes its perfect. I would recomend the arnott kit.
Old May 31st, 2013, 3:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by steev-oh
i the light is still on the dash it had gone out the first day but came on the next. I am wondering if i was suposed to have removed the arms from the original ride sensors. and is the abs tied into the ride control? my check ride control light does not come on until i am doing about 5km/h or so some times a little faster.

I sent your question to Marvin in Customer Support:

The arms from theoriginal ride sensors will not need to be removed. If it’s the ServiceSuspension light I would check connections on each of the bypass sensors and ifit’s the Service traction control or ABS light you would need to check along theleft rear frame rail near the upper shock mount vicinity then plug back in theABS sensor. During installation it’s very common for it to inadvertentlydisconnect that sensor.

The last thing to check is the compressor wiring to make sure nothing has comeundone. The compressor will trigger a code if the system is not getting anelectronic signal from it. <o></o>

If you have additional question please call Marvin here at Arnott M-F 800-251-8993
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for doing that. it is the service ride control light that is on. i will check all the ABS connections. I double checked all the wires from the pump and the bypass sensors. I am wondering if maybe it is the rear bypass sensors as they are the only ones I did noy solder because it came with the connecter to plug into the original.

I will let you know what I find.

thanks again for the help