Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

2001 Tahoe oil leak

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2012, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 01 chevy tahoe 5.3 4wd has a oil leak.

i have a 01 chevy tahoe with the 5.3 with 4wd. i have a really bad oil leak that iam not sure where it is coming from. it is leaking in the middle of truck right under the tranny and engine meet. i have to add about 1 qt every 2 or 3 days. the whole undercarriage from front to back is covered in oil. last time it was a bad oil pressure switch that was bad and leaked 1 qt every 2 days. when oil leak came back i checked and put another pressure switch on. but it still leaked.i think it is a rear main leak but not 100% sure.i heard it could be a oil pan gasket that is leaking. how can i find out for sure what it is. if it is a rear main seal leak i have a buddy that works at a transmission shop and will putt new one on for $350.00. but not sure what it is. if anybody can help. iam ready to get it fixed but i want it to be the right part i get put on.
Old July 25th, 2012, 3:25 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by zamboni driver
i have a 01 chevy tahoe with the 5.3 with 4wd. i have a really bad oil leak that iam not sure where it is coming from. it is leaking in the middle of truck right under the tranny and engine meet. i have to add about 1 qt every 2 or 3 days. the whole undercarriage from front to back is covered in oil. last time it was a bad oil pressure switch that was bad and leaked 1 qt every 2 days. when oil leak came back i checked and put another pressure switch on. but it still leaked.i think it is a rear main leak but not 100% sure.i heard it could be a oil pan gasket that is leaking. how can i find out for sure what it is. if it is a rear main seal leak i have a buddy that works at a transmission shop and will putt new one on for $350.00. but not sure what it is. if anybody can help. iam ready to get it fixed but i want it to be the right part i get put on.
Pop the little circle cover on the underside of the transmission (bell housing). Look inside with a flashlight. You'll see a big gear. When the oil pan leaks, the flywheel (big gear) pulls the oil in and you can see it on the edges of the flywheel and it will leak out of the peep hole at the bottom of the bell housing (if it was the main seal you would see oil at the center of the flywheel getting sprayed towards the edges).

Let us know what you see.
Old November 12th, 2014, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Silverado 5.3 ABS and Parking Brake lights on

To resolve this issue with the ABS and Parking Brake lights coming on I pulled the ABS module of the frame under the drives side. Disconnect the two wire connections and 2 blots (no need to remove any brake lines). Undo the Torx screws and remove the top plate. There are some bad soldier joints the need to be heated up so they dried correctly (i believe there were 3 cold soldier joints that I found). I put everything back together and the lights have stayed off for 4 years now.

Last edited by jcarter_texas; November 12th, 2014 at 1:09 PM.
Old November 12th, 2014, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default fuel gage going from full to empty

My fuel gage was going from full to empty, after a couple years of dealing with this my fuel pump finally went out. I replace the fuel pump and that resolved the issue. However I think it is a design issue. after 2 years with the new fuel pump, it started doing it again.
Old November 14th, 2014, 9:07 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

jcarter_texas Welcome to the forum, thanks for the helpful updates
Old March 26th, 2018, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Main Seal Leak

Have the same problem with a 2004 5.3 Tahoe w/ 206k miles. I don't think it’s worth repairing (b/c it’s going to leak again). I just threw some 20w50 and bars main seal repair in it. It still leaks! The only way i’ve found the leaking will stop is to park it facing down hill.

Last edited by Kevin Leyva; March 26th, 2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old January 13th, 2019, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 Tahoe 5.3 Infamous Oil Leak

THANKS to all who posted their input on this topic. After reading all replies, I'm going to replace intake manifold gasket, drive a few days after a thorough cleaning and decide if the leak is over. If not I'm gonna replace the valve cover gaskets and repeat. Also intending on Replacing PCV valve, and tighten some screws on the back of the block towards the firewall (guy on YouTube verified this fix so why not).

Will be back on with updates and solutions.