Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Suburban Electronic Defroster Slow to Defrost

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2016, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2005 Suburban Electronic Defroster Slow to Defrost

I have a 2005 Suburban that I recently purchased to replace an 04 Yukon XL. I have noticed that when I turn on the electronic defrost, it is much slower to defrost RV Mirrors/Rear Glass than the Yukon XL was or my 05 Silverado. On both of those vehicles the defrost starts melting the frost almost immediately once button is pushed but on the 05 Suburban, it is much slower to work. It will defrost but takes about 4-5 minutes to have any effect. Both mirrors and rear glass are slow so I was thinking it might be a core component of the system. Is there a Defrost module or something similar that I can replace to see if it improves defroster performance? Would a defective defrost relay cause this type of issue? Thanks!
Old January 31st, 2016, 7:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in most cases it either works or it doesn't, could be low amperage issue but without testing its hard to say
Old February 1st, 2016, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, that's kind of what I was afraid of. Was thinking if I was lucky, maybe there was a module of some kind that could be replaced.
Old February 7th, 2016, 1:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the connections on the grid at the rear window.some times they will get corroded and cause a voltage drop on the grid.