Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe LTZ 4WD; are the u-joints greaseable/serviceable?

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2016, 1:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe LTZ 4WD; are the u-joints greaseable/serviceable?

Hi all, so my wife is the main driver of my 07 Tahoe LTZ 4WD, and she told me yesterday that last week she was hearing some type of noise like a squeaking and also sounds like a dog growling in a low rumble tone. I have no clue what this noise sounds like, and her description baffles me, lol. She says it sounds like it is coming from the back of the car. I had my rear diff. rebuilt earlier this year, and thought oh great, maybe something has gone wrong back there and will be hard to prove it. My wife has only heard the noise twice, and both times it was during acceleration to get onto the interstate. My daughter also heard this noise and said it was a squeaky type noise.

I got to brainstorming and I'm thinking maybe the u-joints are low on grease, but thats a long shot since I have not heard or experienced this noise in my Tahoe, but have experienced it in my dads 2000 Toyota tacoma.

Are the u-joints serviceable or greaseable? In the case of my dad's tacoma, the u-joints were serviceable and we had to buy a new driveshaft. could that be the case here for my Tahoe?

My Tahoe has about ~219,000 miles on it now.

Thanks in advance!
Old November 28th, 2016, 3:46 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

No, you will need to replace them, use a torch to melt the nylon retaining ring and push out the old joints, the replacements will come with clips. You have to get the nylon hot, be sure to clean out the old melted nylon prior to installing the new joints
If you go with AC Delco professional series U joints they will come with the zerk fittings

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-45U01...+tahoe+u+joint
Old November 29th, 2016, 10:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks in2pro! Always there to help! =)