Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe LTZ TPMS sensor question

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2015, 9:39 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe LTZ TPMS sensor question

Hi all, so I was kind of in need of new tires for my 2007 Tahoe LTZ, and I've been lurking on Ebay and stalking sellers who have GM OEM 20" wheels with basically new tires on them (aka Take-offs). The set I purchased do not come with TPMS sensors, but I was wanting to add them on after I received the wheels and tires.

My question is about the process to program the new sensors to the ECU of my Tahoe. I will be purchasing GM OEM sensors so there won't be any compatibility issues.

How many sensors can be programmed to the car at once? Can I have all 8 sensors programmed and just swap the old set with new set or mix them up if I wanted to and just do the relearn process? OR do I have to take off old set and put new set on, then have dealer program the new sensors' RF ID #'s to the cars ECU each and every time I swap sets?

If its the latter I just might buy some of the TPMS tools on tirerack.com to save trips to the dealer and dealer charges to do this wheel and tire swap.

Thanks in advance!
Old June 29th, 2015, 2:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

When you swap the new wheels with the new sensors all you need to do is go through the relearn procedure. I can't remember the exact sequence but you enter the TPMS relearn mode then fill or empty some air from the tire until you hear the horn honk. You then move on to the next tire in the sequence and so on until all 4 are learned.

If/when you want to switch to the other wheels or swap TPMS sensors, you just perform the relearn procedure again.

Last edited by KChevy75; June 29th, 2015 at 2:19 PM.
Old June 29th, 2015, 3:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KChevy75
When you swap the new wheels with the new sensors all you need to do is go through the relearn procedure. I can't remember the exact sequence but you enter the TPMS relearn mode then fill or empty some air from the tire until you hear the horn honk. You then move on to the next tire in the sequence and so on until all 4 are learned.

If/when you want to switch to the other wheels or swap TPMS sensors, you just perform the relearn procedure again.
Thanks KChevy for the info! I was doing research and I'm getting mixed stories, lol. There is a tool made by ATEQ, called the VT30. This tool will reset the TPMS on nearly all American cars and European cars. Now I'm not totally sure what is meant by "RESET" the TPMS, I wonder if its the same as "RELEARN"? From what I gather this tool is useful in a few ways. It can activate the TPMS sensor in the wheel so that it can make the re-learn process very quick, so theres no need to put air or let air out of the tire during the relearn process for out 07 Tahoes. It can also read the RF ID on a particular TPMS sensor, I think it can give a status of the battery in the TPMS sensor as well. And I could have sworn it said that it will force the RF ID to be accepted by the car's ECU, but don't quote me on that, lol. Let me watch the video again....

UPDATE: from what i gather, if the sensors are new, they come in a "sleep mode" so as to not use up battery while waiting on a shelf to be purchased. so they need to be "activated" using a TPMS activation/triggering tool like the one I mentioned earlier in this post. If you don't get them out of "sleep mode" they won't transmit any info to the vehicle. I'm still doing more research to get a better understanding.

Last edited by Typerod; June 30th, 2015 at 3:15 PM.
Old July 10th, 2015, 7:20 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't there something in the DIC to relearn the sensors and/or locations?

Quite honestly I've never used it and I get my tires rotated at each oil change. But i also check pressure with a handheld gauge, not the dic anyways. Only thing I use that for is to alert me if something is truly running low.
Old July 19th, 2015, 12:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I replaced my 2007 Suburban TPMS sensors back in 2014 with GM part number 25920615. My understanding is they enter sleep mode when not in use and the pressure is constant. Installing them and filling the tire with air or removing air will cause them to transmit data which is used to program your TPMS system during the relearn mode.
Old July 20th, 2015, 8:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KChevy75
I replaced my 2007 Suburban TPMS sensors back in 2014 with GM part number 25920615. My understanding is they enter sleep mode when not in use and the pressure is constant. Installing them and filling the tire with air or removing air will cause them to transmit data which is used to program your TPMS system during the relearn mode.
Thanks for the info!