Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe rear differential...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2016, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe rear differential...HELP!

Chevy dealer is saying the rear differential is bad in my Tahoe. 200,000 highway miles. Seams to drive fine...when I let off the gas it makes a definitive noise at 35 mph as it decelerates.
How do they know its the rear differential?....They are telling me you cannot buy a new one? To rebuild is $3500?
What about this?
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrol...e=differential
Any mechanics in Chicago willing to take a look?
Thanks! tom

Last edited by suddes24; November 27th, 2016 at 9:21 PM.
Old November 28th, 2016, 2:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW that sounds pretty high.
Differential Repair is not for the inexperienced mechanic. Tried to do a few, and never got good lasting results. I'd drop by some other Shops and get a quote from them.
Old November 29th, 2016, 4:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had my rear diff rebuilt earlier this year and spent right about $3500. I had them use all OEM GM parts for the rebuild. My carrier bearings were bad, and they would make a scrubbing noise which was relevant to vehicle speed, and you can hear the gear whining as well. Im surprised the bearings lasted that long, b/c the scrubbing noise I first heard when the car was brand new, I was super ignorant then and didn't think there was anything wrong. I had maybe ~206K at the time of the rebuild.

The transmission shop I brought it to, raised up the vehicle on a lift and ran the car in drive to let me hear the noise while standing under the car, and the noise was much more pronounced and louder from underneath vs being inside the cabin.

I didn't trust the dealer to do a good job, I felt like they are just out to get your money and will rush the job, and I lucked out that there was a transmission shop near me that from researching online had an excellent reputation for their work and especially their customer service. Hopefully you may have a transmission shop near you that does good work.

That link you posted I think is just the carrier assy. alone. While its opened up, might as well place the other bearings and the ring & pinion etc.

Good luck!

what does the noise sound like in your Tahoe OP?
Old November 29th, 2016, 10:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, $3500 seems really high to me.

I killed the rear axle on my '01 Suburban in the middle of nowhere in South Dakota. Was on vacation with my family towing a trailer that was a tad too heavy for a half-ton truck. Was towed to a shop in Mitchell, SD. They ordered a rebuilt rear end and it had to be shipped from Minneapolis. Between the labor and transit time, we got to spend four lovely days in Mitchell. And even knowing they had me over a barrel, my bill was only $2200.
Old November 30th, 2016, 8:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by suddes24
Chevy dealer is saying the rear differential is bad in my Tahoe. 200,000 highway miles. Seams to drive fine...when I let off the gas it makes a definitive noise at 35 mph as it decelerates.
How do they know its the rear differential?....
the pinion bearings are under load during accell and decel...that is how they know. pushes out under load and load one bearing, pushes in on decel and loads the other. the bad bearings can put crud in all the bearings.

whoever does it...make sure they use oem parts. I have seen new aftermarket crown and pinons have xs runout from new...this translates to a noisy rear end.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 12:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at just under 50k miles on my '13 Hoe. Would it be wise to have the rear diff oil changed as preventative maintenance at this time?
Old December 2nd, 2016, 1:23 PM
Super Moderator

I do a full change. every three years...

Transmission Fluid W/filter
Both Differentials
Transfer Case
Chassis Lube
Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
I'm at just under 50k miles on my '13 Hoe. Would it be wise to have the rear diff oil changed as preventative maintenance at this time?
All the driveline fluid need to be changed every 50 000 miles, front, rear and tcase fluids
Old December 8th, 2016, 3:25 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yep

Originally Posted by SWHouston
I do a full change. every three years...

Transmission Fluid W/filter
Both Differentials
Transfer Case
Chassis Lube
When I first glanced at this, I somehow assumed that include the wife.
Old December 8th, 2016, 9:54 PM
Super Moderator

Not having one, is what allows me to keep my ride in such good shape