Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban Vibration at 65 MPH

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2014, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Suburban Vibration at 65 MPH

Has anyone experienced this issue. I have seen some discussions on this but no one answer. I have had the wheels balanced and still did not resolve it.
Only have 52000 miles. started noticing it 2 week ago on trip out to Colorado.
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:32 PM
CF Junior Member

It could be anything from bad tires/rims to alignment issues to loose lug nuts to worn drive train/suspension components. Do you recall anything specific that triggered the vibration? Hitting a bad pot hole, jumping a curb or tire issues? A quick test would be to swap front wheels with rear wheels and see if the vibration increases, decreases or goes away completely. if so, then you know that it is something with the wheels. probably a wheel out of balance or tire could be bad. if vibration still exists, most likely a suspension/steering/axle issue. those are tougher to diagnose without proper experience.
Old July 21st, 2014, 5:31 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi mbilak,

I’m sorry to hear that you experience a vibration while driving your Suburban. I will be happy to look further into this concern for you. Please provide your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name via private message if any extra help is needed. I look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 21st, 2014, 8:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Balancing is not always a "one and done" proposition, especially with larger truck tires. Have them balance them again, or take it somewhere else for balancing.

I recently did some offroading in/around Moab. Picked up enough rocks/pebbles in the tire treads that it caused a shimmy at highway speeds. Finally smoothed out after about 1000 miles.
Old July 21st, 2014, 8:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've been having this issue for quite some time now. i've replaced u joints and rotated tires. i finally have come to terms that it is something in my rear end. and sounds like bearings in the differential. i've changed the axle bearings, and lifted the rear tires off the ground. vibration and noise still there. so i'm gonna give in and take it to a drivetrain shop.
Old July 21st, 2014, 9:29 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Tires that are developing a side wall bubble and/or tread separation will balance but not ride good. Get a road force balance.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by suburbansr4me
It could be anything from bad tires/rims to alignment issues to loose lug nuts to worn drive train/suspension components. Do you recall anything specific that triggered the vibration? Hitting a bad pot hole, jumping a curb or tire issues? A quick test would be to swap front wheels with rear wheels and see if the vibration increases, decreases or goes away completely. if so, then you know that it is something with the wheels. probably a wheel out of balance or tire could be bad. if vibration still exists, most likely a suspension/steering/axle issue. those are tougher to diagnose without proper experience.
I noticed the vibration at about 75 mph driving through Kansas on a trip from Pa to Co. Then it now seems to show up at 65 and stays on past 75. Nothing started the issue just started showing up very lightly and now is noticeably there. I did have the road force balance. I was going to do the road force touch but the tech said that one locks you into keeping those tires in those particular locations on vehicle. Now the only thing I did before the trip is I had to change the driver side cv shaft since the boot was torn. I heard rumors that you should change both shafts at the same time not sure if that's true
Old July 22nd, 2014, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Aftermarket............

Just a thought, but are you running aftermarket wheels.....
If your wheels are not mounted hub centrically, they will be mounted stud centrically. If so, there is a possibility that the wheels may be moving slightly in the vertical axis as they rotate, and be generating a noticeable vibration at speed.
As I said, just a thought. You can get hub centric rings that fit into the inner wheel hub and fit over the outer wheel bearing hub, take up the space between the two surfaces and eliminate the vibration.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 7:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i just came back from a local mechanic shop. he says i need tires...i knew i was in for a set soon anyway, so i'm gonna give in and get tires. he claims he can beat anyones price so we'll see tomorrow. i think I'm gonna go with the bridgestone dueler alenza's. i'm thinking somewhere just under $600. will keep you posted
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

What did he say was wrong w/ your tires?

Quick Reply: 2008 Suburban Vibration at 65 MPH