Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2010 suburban towing capabilty and issues

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing capacity

before i purchase a travel trailer i would like to know how much i can pull.

2011 4WD 1/2ton LT Suburban with 5.3L V8, engine oil cooler, H.D. Transmission oil cooler, 2 speed transfer case, rear axle ratio 3.42, trailer brake controller.
thank you for any advice
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lookup your Towing Capacity (GTW)

Greetings jBurb, welcome to the Forum.

You need to do a simple lookup for your vehicle...

VIN Decryption Resources:<O</O
You may go to this link...<O</O
http://www.decodethis.com/<O</O
enter your VIN, and then click on “Equipment” when the next page appears...<O</O

In the right column as I remember, about half way down, you'll find the poundage of your Gross Towing Weight (GTW).

Last edited by SWHouston; January 2nd, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 4:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jsuburban,

Based on the information you have provided, your maximum trailer weight is 8,000 pounds. Please be aware that the trailer weight rating is calculated assuming the tow vehicle has only the driver but all required trailering equipment. Weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle must be subtracted from the trailer weight rating.

Notice: Pulling a trailer improperly can damage the vehicle and result in costly repairs not covered by the vehicle warranty. Please see your dealer for important information about towing a trailer with the vehicle.

For your reference, this information is available in your owner's manual starting on page 9-82.

A digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...2k11tahsub.pdf

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
jsuburban,

Weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle must be subtracted from the trailer weight rating.
I respectfully disagree...

The Optional Equipment, Passengers, Cargo and the weight placed on the Hitch, should not exceed the Vehicle Load Rating, and has nothing to do with the weight of the Trailer.

IOW:
You should reduce the maximum weight of what you carry in the Vehicle, by the weight put on the Hitch.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I think the trailer tow weight is gross. It is calculated by determining how much the truck can handle considering the gross weight of the truck w/ just the driver. So if you put another 500 lbs in the truck, you have to subtract 500 lbs from the trailer. Hitch weight should be about 10% of the trailer load weight.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Final Drive Ratio

Keep in mind with the higher 'rear ends' comes a 6 speed auto

what you should be comparing is 1st gear * axle ration = true first gear.

not just comparing the axle ratios... then you will have the whole story.

I vaguely remember 1st gear being very close between the 07 Tahoe with a 'lower' axle ratio, and the 09, when you did the full math....
Old January 3rd, 2012, 1:15 PM
Super Moderator

Shark,

Yes, that "math" is logical, but, not practical, and given that the OP has mentioned a Recreational Trailer (RT), the poundage in question may go as high as 15%.
Given that terminology, one might assume that with the transfer, that he could add additional weight to the Trailer, to compensate for the subtraction.

However...
If he ran across the upwardly mobile DPS Weight Station Officer, and that Officer demanded (which he could) to un-hook the Trailer and weight it separately. And, found that it was over the GTW of the towing Vehicle, the OP WOULD be Cited for overweight.

My sincere recommendation is, that under no circumstances should one allow any Trailer to be loaded over the actual GTW rating of the Vehicle in question, regardless of how much weight is placed on the Tongue.

In addition I would say, that it is a very good idea (mainly with RT's) that one load it up, and have it weighed (Tongue & Total) prior to a Trip just to make sure. It's SO easy to misjudge that and beyond the jeopardy of a Citation, it's risky at best.

Last edited by SWHouston; January 3rd, 2012 at 1:30 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 3:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SWHouston
Shark,

Yes, that "math" is logical, but, not practical, and given that the OP has mentioned a Recreational Trailer (RT), the poundage in question may go as high as 15%.
Given that terminology, one might assume that with the transfer, that he could add additional weight to the Trailer, to compensate for the subtraction.

Not sure what transfer you're referring to but if your trailer's gross is at the max tow rating, then you can't have more than the driver in the truck. Anyway that's the way I read it.
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Shark,

Transfer = weight distributed to Tongue from Trailer Axel load (a little or a lot)

HA, well maybe it's a little more than just the driver.
In the OP's case he should load his Hitch up toward 800 lbs or a bit more,
that'd leave enough room for a Cup of Coffee !

Last edited by SWHouston; January 4th, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old January 4th, 2012, 7:37 PM
Administrator

I'm gonna stop now as not sure we're on the same page.

Quick Reply: 2010 suburban towing capabilty and issues