Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2013 Tahoe LTZ oil leak

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2014, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2013 Tahoe LTZ oil leak

I bought this Tahoe in July of 2013. Around two weeks after I have the oil changed the truck starts leaking oil near the filter. Also I have had two different dealers change my oil,same problem.I have had to take it back at least 3 times for this problem. The dealer says the filter needed tightening and they wiped off the residue. They tell me to keep an eye on it and bring it back if it does it again. Well, I'm tired of keeping my eye on it and the oil has ruined my driveway. I need some help here!! Anyone else have a similar problem? Customer Service could you help me? I feel as though I'm being blown off by this dealer.
Old August 20th, 2014, 1:59 PM
CF Junior Member

The first place that changed your oil some how messed up the seat of the oil filter. You can usually start over by removing the oil filter and checking the mating surface for leftover gasket/o-ring. BUT like you said you've had it at two dealerships? Makes me think they messed up your truck. If it's a 2013, it's still under warranty.

Are you talking Chevy Dealerships or just a Dealer?
Old August 20th, 2014, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, one is a Chevy Dealer the other is Cadillac. Both are GM dealers. I took it to Chevy first where I bought he truck, after the leak I took it to the Cadillac dealer after about a week the same thing, leaking. I also think Chevy dealer messed up something!!!
Old August 20th, 2014, 2:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you figure it out, but how the heck do you mess that up? Isn't kind tucked up in there? Unless they tried to force on a filter with no gasket (metal on metal) and chewed it up?

Or maybe that part was never cast right and somehow made it into the wild? Color me confused...
Old August 21st, 2014, 1:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi SoftailRdr! We certainly understand how this has been a frustrating process and we're sorry if you feel the dealership caused additional issues with your Tahoe. Private message us your VIN, mileage, contact info and dealership name(s) so we can further investigate this matter on your behalf. We hope to hear from you soon.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 2nd, 2015, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi SoftailRdr! We certainly understand how this has been a frustrating process and we're sorry if you feel the dealership caused additional issues with your Tahoe. Private message us your VIN, mileage, contact info and dealership name(s) so we can further investigate this matter on your behalf. We hope to hear from you soon.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Im having the same problem. Today is the 4th time I have had this vehicle in the shop. They keep telling me that there is a bulletin and it is caused by not tightening the filter correctly. Amber, or Someone, how can you help me? Im going to go the lemon law route asap.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 8:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happens on my 2008 too.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 9:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotiapilot
Happens on my 2008 too.
Sorry to hear this. Send us your VIN, mileage, and contact info, Scotiapilot. We'll gladly take a look into this on our end.

Thanks,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:11 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone post a pic? On my 09 I always felt... why is this filter so freaking small for such a large engine? And why am I getting oil all over the freaking place?
My Jeep (2012 Wrangler Rubicon) had it up on TOP of the engine. Self draining, and without a metal canister (reduces waste). That was smart... But apparently the person designing at GM has never changed their own oil...

Some days I really miss that Jeep it was my 3rd lol.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Sorry to hear this. Send us your VIN, mileage, and contact info, Scotiapilot. We'll gladly take a look into this on our end.

Thanks,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Apparently my post above Scotiapilot is not as important since I wasn't asked to provide anything. Mine is a $64,000 LEMON. So frustrated... Can't get anyone from GM to do anything about it.

Quick Reply: 2013 Tahoe LTZ oil leak