Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Chevrolet suburban wireless charging q

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2015, 12:05 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Chevrolet suburban wireless charging q

I just picked up a 2015 burb. I am trying to charge my iPhone on it. It won't charge. I have a qi compatible backing on it but it does not charge. The case is a dog and bone. It works with its own power plate but not the Chevy plate.
I've tried my wife's samsung and it works intermittently. Say 3x out of 20. The apple charged 1x out of a hundred attempts.

Anybody have any success? Explanations? Etc. dealerships first examination says maybe a bad module but after 2 hrs diagnostic time. Chevrolet tech services wants another crack at diagnostic.

Any experiences
Old March 9th, 2015, 7:53 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hmm

I have not. I'm surprised GM is ahead of the game on this. I hope the next iPhone includes wireless charging built in. I'm not all about the extra case bits.

Have you called Apple or the maker of your charger/case? What do they say?

Until the bigger players (ie apple) standardize this, it's VHS/Beta all over... or HD-DVD v. Blu Ray.

Does GM say this model/version is compatible? I do like the idea of 'set phone here' and it just charges.

Ikea's Wireless-Charging Table Won't Spark a Revolution Yet | WIRED

Did you see IKEA getting in on this?
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:07 PM
CF Senior Member

The first answer was that the module that controls this was defective and they were to order another module. But I got a call asking me to bring my truck back so that the chevy techs, not the dealership mechanics could take a second look. The module is a restricted part. It's a pain apparently to get a replacement. Easy to replace though. The dealership also has my phone, which is the more aggravating of the issues.
Either they fix the problem or they are going to ask for the truck again and it's another trip to the dealer. So that they can replace the part that they will have to order. Either don't offer the option. Or list what's compatible and list what's needed to make the phones compatible. There are no instructions on how to use it except for and online video. That merely show you putting the phone on the pad or flipping it over.

Well I got a call back. They tried a module from another truck. Intermittent success. They removed the rubber mat. The phone charges.

Last edited by blueinterceptor; March 9th, 2015 at 1:12 PM.
Old March 9th, 2015, 1:27 PM
CF Addict

Default Yeah

Sounds like GM
Old March 11th, 2015, 5:31 PM
CF Senior Member

I am going to try another receiver antenna. An effort to try to trip the charging base.

I used my wife's samsung to turn the system on and then slide my apple in its place to make the system work.
Old March 12th, 2015, 4:40 PM
CF Senior Member

The other receiver works fine. Brandmotion. Part number Fdmc 1108. It works while enclosed in my trident case.
Old April 13th, 2015, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same for me

Same for us on our '15 Burb. For what it's worth, our dealer was up front with us at purchase the the iPhone would not be compatible. We have friends with a '15 Denali and there's does not work either on apple. Seems like GM is trying to make it seem advanced, but in the end just not quite fully baked. Too bad, it was a feature that we were pretty excited about before we shopped.
Old April 13th, 2015, 9:47 AM
CF Addict

Default iphone

It's not a feature I'd seek out, but if the next iphone has it, that would be cool.

in GMs defense, it's a bit of a chicken and egg. you can't build charging pads without compatible phones... but why build the phone if there are no pads?
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:51 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
in GMs defense, ...
Wow. Quoting this. I'm shocked.
Old April 13th, 2015, 12:20 PM
CF Addict

Default GM

I never said GM couldn't design good things. Only that it couldn't actually make them work/useful.

My buddy sold his Caddy for a Toyota because all the tech he was promised... didn't work.

See how it doesn't work... yea... that's GM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Chevrolet suburban wireless charging q