Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 ltz tahoe towing issues

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2014, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 ltz tahoe towing issues

I have recently purchased a 2015 LTZ Tahoe and had extreme sway when towing a RV trailer. I used to tow with my 2012 TAHOE Z71 edition - with no sway at all. This new TAHOE is supposed to have sway control built into it - which is ironic. Within the first hour of towing - there was so much sway that the trailer ended up on its side - and the truck almost too. The sway control never engaged. I have heard a similar story from another 2015 Tahoe purchaser - and he ended up returning the TAHOE immediatley. Has anyone else encountered this?
Old August 31st, 2014, 5:36 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Holy cow...
I'll ask the obvious just so its out of the way... was the trailer properly loaded and not overloaded behind the trailer axle AND how is the trailer tongue height to the truck? too high and it could cause sway...
Old August 31st, 2014, 7:34 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

The GMT900 needs about a 9" drop hitch since the receiver is located up higher in the bumper vs under the bumper in the GMT800.
Old August 31st, 2014, 11:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow - I hadn't heard about the sway control "feature" Chevy is pushing on the new SUVs.

It senses conditions of trailer sway and, without input from the driver, intervenes with braking and/or reduced engine power to bring the trailer under control and keep it on its intended path. The system will use electric trailer brakes when a trailer is plugged into the standard harness
Of those three things, the only one that MIGHT mitigate sway is activating the trailer brakes. The last thing you want to do is hit the vehicle brakes or reduce engine power. If you get into a bad sway, the best thing to do is hit the gas and pull the trailer out of it. Letting off the gas or hitting the brakes is likely to make it worse. You need to apply more tension to the hitch - either by applying the trailer brakes or hitting the gas.

I'm sorry for your situation. But frankly, I'll take a $30 friction sway brake over any kind of "active" system in the tow vehicle. Even better, a dual cam system or something like the Hensley Arrow.

When you're towing a travel trailer, there's a lot of dynamics going on. You have three potential pivot points - your rear axle, the hitch, and the trailer axle(s). It's kind of like trying to walk with three knees, instead of one. You need some kind of "brace" to keep those joints from bending/flexing too much. Counting solely on the tow vehicle's electronics is a little overly optimistic.

But, then again, what do I know? I've only logged ~25,000 miles pulling a 30' 6,500-lb TT all over the country (through 41 states).

Last edited by intheburbs; August 31st, 2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Yes everything was loaded properly. The same as always. The only thing different was the tow vehicle which was my new 2015 LTZ Tahoe.
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Wow - I hadn't heard about the sway control "feature" Chevy is pushing on the new SUVs.

Of those three things, the only one that MIGHT mitigate sway is activating the trailer brakes. The last thing you want to do is hit the vehicle brakes or reduce engine power. If you get into a bad sway, the best thing to do is hit the gas and pull the trailer out of it. Letting off the gas or hitting the brakes is likely to make it worse. You need to apply more tension to the hitch - either by applying the trailer brakes or hitting the gas.

I'm sorry for your situation. But frankly, I'll take a $30 friction sway brake over any kind of "active" system in the tow vehicle. Even better, a dual cam system or something like the Hensley Arrow.

When you're towing a travel trailer, there's a lot of dynamics going on. You have three potential pivot points - your rear axle, the hitch, and the trailer axle(s). It's kind of like trying to walk with three knees, instead of one. You need some kind of "brace" to keep those joints from bending/flexing too much. Counting solely on the tow vehicle's electronics is a little overly optimistic.

But, then again, what do I know? I've only logged ~25,000 miles pulling a 30' 6,500-lb TT all over the country (through 41 states).

I towed a new trailer with the same repaired 2015 Tahoe a second time - and the excessive sway took place again. I even purchased a PROPRIDE hitch which is identical to the HEMSLEY.
Old September 1st, 2014, 1:37 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by naildozer
I towed a new trailer with the same repaired 2015 Tahoe a second time - and the excessive sway took place again. I even purchased a PROPRIDE hitch which is identical to the HEMSLEY.
Well, if you're still getting sway with a hitch like that, then it has to be how the trailer is loaded. Hitches like the Hensley and ProPride (which was also designed by Jim Hensley) eliminate sway by locking that hitch "joint." Those rigs lock the trailer and tow vehicle together so that it's not possible for the trailer to induce sway. Only the tow vehicle can "break" the lock when it makes a turn.

No offense, but as the old saying goes, "The only common denominator in all of your bad relationships is you."

Knowing how GM is under a microscope right now because of ignition switch issues, if there was any major towing issue with Suburbans or Tahoes, the bloodthirsty press would be all over it.

Granted, the Tahoe is a shorter wheelbase vehicle, so, by definition, it's not going to be as stable as a Suburban or longer vehicle like a crew cab pickup. There's a formula floating around on the internet relating tow vehicle wheelbase and overhang to maximum safe trailer length. I'm sure if you plugged in the Tahoe, it would come out with a relatively small number like 16 or 18 feet for maximum trailer length.
Old September 1st, 2014, 1:57 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I am certainly not an authority on towing by any means and have only done a limited amount, but I have always been told that sway equals improper balance of the trailer with too much weight to the rear of the axle of the trailer.
I'm not saying the vehicle can't be at fault to some extent, but I just can't see how the vehicle could induce that much sway to put the trailer out of control...
Old September 1st, 2014, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Well, if you're still getting sway with a hitch like that, then it has to be how the trailer is loaded. Hitches like the Hensley and ProPride (which was also designed by Jim Hensley) eliminate sway by locking that hitch "joint." Those rigs lock the trailer and tow vehicle together so that it's not possible for the trailer to induce sway. Only the tow vehicle can "break" the lock when it makes a turn.

No offense, but as the old saying goes, "The only common denominator in all of your bad relationships is you."

Knowing how GM is under a microscope right now because of ignition switch issues, if there was any major towing issue with Suburbans or Tahoes, the bloodthirsty press would be all over it.

Granted, the Tahoe is a shorter wheelbase vehicle, so, by definition, it's not going to be as stable as a Suburban or longer vehicle like a crew cab pickup. There's a formula floating around on the internet relating tow vehicle wheelbase and overhang to maximum safe trailer length. I'm sure if you plugged in the Tahoe, it would come out with a relatively small number like 16 or 18 feet for maximum trailer length.
We had almost nothing in the trailer when we experienced this. As I mentioned earlier - prior to this 2015 Tahoe I has a 2012 Tahoe with no issues towing the same trailer for years - and in the mountains etc. This occurred on a calm day on a straight run of road. And with the new trailer and the new hitch - everytime a tractor trailer passed us - the whole trailer pulled towards it. Also - why did this new sway control engage and prevent it from becoming excessive?
Old September 1st, 2014, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
I am certainly not an authority on towing by any means and have only done a limited amount, but I have always been told that sway equals improper balance of the trailer with too much weight to the rear of the axle of the trailer.
I'm not saying the vehicle can't be at fault to some extent, but I just can't see how the vehicle could induce that much sway to put the trailer out of control...
I do not think the vehicle induced that much sway to put the trailer out of control - I think it started the sway and didnt control it like it is advertised to do and the trailer sway just compounded until disaster.

Quick Reply: 2015 ltz tahoe towing issues