Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 Suburban wont start need help

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2012, 2:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Suburban wont start need help

I have a 1997 Chevy Suburban 5.7l c1500. One day it didn't start after looking into it found I needed a new fuel pump. Changed that and everything worked great. Then a week later while driving it started to die out I would be able to put in nuetral and start it and continue to drive but it kept dying out after restarting so many times to get to a safe spot finally it drain the battery and I had to get it jumped to start which it did but soon after died out after a few more times of starting and dying it now wont start at all. It has power as everything turns on I even tried jumping it as well. It cranks just doesn't fire up. Went to change to fuel filter thinking maybe it wasn't getting fuel found that the old one was put in backwards. It still wont start and I'm not sure where to begin to look. When it did start up the engine sounded good for about a minute before it putter out a die. Please any help would be appreciated.
Old April 8th, 2012, 7:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Do you hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds when you first turn the key to the on position?whats your fuel pressure?when the engine does start do you hear the pump running back by the tank,there's a small black connector just behind the fuse box in the engine bay that if you apply 12v to it will run the fuel pump all the time,i made a small jumper with a blade connector on one end and a alligator clip on the end for trouble shooting
Old April 8th, 2012, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Yea when I turn the key to on position the fuel pump turns on that was originally the sign that I needed to change it. I'm not sure of the actual pressure although I'm sure its working cause I went to see if it was the new filter I put in and there was a lot of fuel a big difference from when I changed it and tried to see if that was the issue. When it did start I didn't get a chance to check if the fuel pump was on the whole time. Could it have been something worn out from all the start ups and dying in a short time?
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:59 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You need to check the fuel pressure before spending money on parts that are not needed.
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed. you need to verify that the new fuel pump is putting the required pressure to the motor. if it's getting there at the right pressure you can rule out the fuel pump.

then I'd be making sure your getting consistant spark. my 90 would start and run for awhile then die, or sputter real bad and it was the module under the distributor. make sure your getting good spark.

any particular load conditions when it's dying after you get it going???

:chug:
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Superman13 Welcome to the forum...
Sounds like these guys have you on a good track for troubleshooting your won't start issue..
The fuel pressure is a great place to start, also check your plugs to see if they are wet, this will give you some indication that fuel is getting there but not igniting, or too much is present...
Old April 8th, 2012, 6:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Once the engine starts the oil pressure switch takes over and supplies voltage to the fuel pump if you find you have good fuel pressure and no spark and dry plugs it could be the crank sensor it just happened to me cheap Autozone one i replaced it with an AC/DELCO unit (bad crank sensor will give no spark or injector pulse)
Old April 8th, 2012, 7:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
agreed. you need to verify that the new fuel pump is putting the required pressure to the motor. if it's getting there at the right pressure you can rule out the fuel pump.

then I'd be making sure your getting consistant spark. my 90 would start and run for awhile then die, or sputter real bad and it was the module under the distributor. make sure your getting good spark.

any particular load conditions when it's dying after you get it going???

:chug:
I m betting on weak spark from the ICM in the distributor.
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fpr

I would bet the fuel pressure regulator inside of the intake?
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the advice so far I've been busy this weekend but after work today I'm going to test some of the parts suggested and see where to go from there. Ill keep you guys posted on the progress in mean time if any other ideas come to mind please let me know.

Quick Reply: 97 Suburban wont start need help