Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

AC Delco PF48e oil filter Avoid?

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2015, 3:57 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default AC Delco PF48e oil filter Avoid?

So I was changing the oil in the wife's Dodge Journey and discovered that her 2.4l 4cyl uses the same AC Delco filter that my 5.3l 8cyl does...
I have been using the PF48 without the "E" but they are becoming harder to find but the PF48E's are at most autoparts stores...
Reason being I have discovered is they are cheap... the "E"s are made with plastic insides! The PF48 has a steel cage inside where as the E has a plastic cage holding the filter medium ( see attached pictures) At least my last one did...
I am going to try the M1 filter for my next truck oil change as it still has the steel insides holding the filter medium in place.... as soon as I can get a regular PH48, I take a look at its guts to see if it is still steel...
Attached Thumbnails AC Delco PF48e  oil filter Avoid?-m1-113.jpg   AC Delco PF48e  oil filter Avoid?-pf48e.jpg   AC Delco PF48e  oil filter Avoid?-pf48e1.jpg  

Last edited by in2pro; July 16th, 2015 at 4:01 PM. Reason: updated title
Old July 17th, 2015, 10:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have been spending too much time on bob is the oil guy�� you should not fear the E if it is good enough for GM it should be good enough for us. I have a Mobil 1 and ACDeelco sitting in the garage. Currently the truck has a pronto filter on it due to a a local draining the oil during a tire rotation. I did make sure they filled her back up with Mobil 1.
Old July 19th, 2015, 7:43 AM
Administrator

fishing nut You are probably right, my concern is (and I know you can't idiot proof everything) the filter cage breaking down in any extended use situation...
Will that plastic cage hold up with 150°F+ pavement heat combined with engine and oil heat across the Mojave, because you happen to go 1000 miles over your recommended oil change interval.... I know there are all kinds of plausible scenarios, but age and a bit of wisdom have taught me plastic is not all its cracked up to be especially in disposable type situations...
Okay, Okay, maybe I'm just loosing my comfortableness with change
Old July 19th, 2015, 8:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

gotta wonder why they made the change.

the e filters are all they had at the dealership I was at . I would ask for the 48 and would get the e. I have not seen or heard of any problems with the e filter. For the most part I would choose oem parts or aftermarket any day.
Old July 19th, 2015, 9:37 AM
Administrator

The 48 was the last one I got from a local supply house, but that was nearly 6000 miles ago and now the "e"s are filling those slots...
The "e" filter is considerably lighter in weight, perhaps its one of those corners to be cut in weight savings for that all elusive mandated MPG rating
Old July 20th, 2015, 7:29 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the "e" had something to do with making it more recyclable? Anyways, I use whatever the dealer puts in it, or the quick change place I use on occasion. I rarely find the time to do my own oil change anymore, and its so cheap to have the dealer do it, that it really isn't worth it.

At least with my dealer anyways. Heck they are starting to allow you to "schedule" your "fast lane" oil change now. This one dealer by my work...omg they should change the name to extremely, insanely slow lane. Doesn't matter the time either. I've been in there at 9, leave at 10:30. Been in there at 11...(this was possible the worst time), leave at 1:15? 2 hours for a oil change?? In the fast lane? Haven't been back since then. GMC across the street wasn't much better. The one by the house is 45 min tops, including wait time, and with the new "scheduling" they claim it will be like 15 min...
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you guys switch to AC Delco PF64??? Same filter as the PF 48, but a little longer. I've been using these for awhile now.....and it's easier to get off the truck.
Old July 21st, 2015, 8:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, just whatever the dealer puts on for me. I suppose I could ask them to put on a 64. Does it take more oil to fill a 64? I'm not sure how the dealer determines how much oil goes back in, they prob just say "manual says 6 qts" and pump it in.
Old July 21st, 2015, 10:30 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by {tpc}
Like I said, just whatever the dealer puts on for me. I suppose I could ask them to put on a 64. Does it take more oil to fill a 64? I'm not sure how the dealer determines how much oil goes back in, they prob just say "manual says 6 qts" and pump it in.
I'm sure it probably only takes 1/8 of a quart more.....if that.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:26 PM
CF Junior Member

I've switched to using M1's filter. I just don't trust the new size to provide the same level of protection/filtering as the original PF48's.

Quick Reply: AC Delco PF48e oil filter Avoid?