Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Any easy options to increase horsepower on my 2014 Suburban?

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2016, 9:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any easy options to increase horsepower on my 2014 Suburban?

New to this thread. I have a 2014 Suburban LTZ 4x4. I'd like to get a little better performance without spending a lot. Wondering if anyone has done exhaust, air intake or anything like that?

I tow a travel trailer a few times a year and although the dry weight is only 5100, it seems like the Suburban struggles more than my Cayenne S did pulling that weight.

If I could get another 20 hp out of her easily, I think it'd make a difference.

Thoughts?
Old February 13th, 2016, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Blackbear Performance tune.
Old February 13th, 2016, 10:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Shark

thanks. I checked them out. Seems like they have a little work do on updating their YMM coverage as they have a lot listed for 2010-2013 but only one of two parts listed for a 2014? Not aware of any real difference? I sent them an email.

Any thoughts on dual exhaust vs. the stock single? and what particular air intake to use.
I'm at NADA next month and I know the GM performance team will be there, so maybe I can get their thoughts on squeezing some cheap HP out of this as well.

Thanks
Old February 13th, 2016, 5:43 PM
CF Junior Member

shark,

Thanks. I checked it out. Seems like they need to do some updated on years for Suburban as 2014 is left off most parts.

In my research, it looks like the Flowmaster Force II, or the Gibson Performance Exhaust.

Anyone have any experience with either. Also, anyone have a preference on cold air intake. Airaid vs K&N.

thanks
Old February 13th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Your truck already has a cold air intake and slipping in a K&N filter will be compensated for by the ECM. As far as exhaust, w/o serious intake changes like manifold, cam, etc will not be worth it but it will sound good.

I'd give Blackbear a call just in case their website is out of date.
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

I've owned quite a few of these rigs and over the years have narrowed down what works for me. I leave the stock air box alone, just add a K&N filter, seems to retain better bottom-end torque. I do use the Airaid intake tube though. I run a Magnaflow 3" dual-in/dual-out with internal x-pipe & 2-1/4" tails on my current 6.0. I also run a Hypertech maxpower tuner. I pull heavy trailers infrequently and have no issues. On several rigs I have gone to 4.10 ring & pinion, but you suffer on the high-speed cruising with high rpm. Just getting them to breath better will help a lot. I would avoid any of the exhaust kits that use large (3") tails, it will fall flat on it's face needing some back-pressure. Good luck!
Old February 16th, 2016, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default more horsepower

I used a Superchips tuner and got very good results. Not more horse but much better throttle response and seems like more power in every gear.
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by johng908
I used a Superchips tuner and got very good results. Not more horse but much better throttle response and seems like more power in every gear.
Most tuners do exactly that as you stated, not really increasing HP or changing anything but the torque management threshold.
TM is designed to protect the drive train and provide longevity to the drive line components. Most tuners reduce the amount of TM and in turn you "feel" more of the engine torque but at the expense of potential premature drive line wear.

Keep in mind adding any turners to vehicles under warranty can void your drive train warranty due to tuners reducing/removing torque management.
Old February 16th, 2016, 5:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Is there a significant difference in a OTS tuner like Superchips or Hypertech, and a custom tune from Blackbear?
Old February 19th, 2016, 9:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Hypertech unit gives more performance and better fuel economy. Also will recalibrate for aftermarket tires and gear.