Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Best performance chip for Mileage increase?

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2007, 2:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best performance chip for Mileage increase?

I don't get the greatest mileage on my 07 4wd suburban LTZ, so I installed a volant cold air intake. It gave me about a mile per gallon improvement, and I have also improved my lead foot habits to get closer to a 14mpg average. But I'm looking for more! Not performance mind you, I'm not racing that big **** truck, but rather just to give me the gas mileage they said it would have.

What performance chip/programmer would be the best choice for fuel efficiency first settings?
Old June 27th, 2007, 8:09 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: Best performance chip for Mileage increase?

Have you switched to Mobil 1 yet? Gave me 0.5 mpg improvement.
Old June 28th, 2007, 8:54 AM
CF Junior Member

I went with penzoil full synthetic. They should be about the same right? I was also going to run some higher test fuel through to see if I can clean it out. I bought the car with about 10k miles on it.

I was also reading about throttle spacers? But I'd rather not get too mechanically involved, so as not to void any warranties I have.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:48 AM
CF Active Member

According to tests that I have read, Penzoil is actually better than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 does not reach its prime until about 5000 miles
Old June 28th, 2007, 1:43 PM
Administrator

I'd run 1-2 bottles of Techron thru it if you want to clean the fuel system/injectors. As far as throttle body spacers go, if they work like carb spacers, then you might see some hp increase but up at the high end of the rpm band which you don't operate in very much.

Old June 28th, 2007, 2:04 PM
CF Junior Member

I currently use regular gasoline. Would it be better to just fill up a couple of tanks with high test? It probably wouldn't cost but a couple of dollars more than two bottles of the cleaner. Also, is anyone achieving better mileage on midgrade than regular?

Basically, I just am not getting the mileage out of my 07 suburban as I was out of my 01 YukonXL. The highway mileageis actuallyslightly better, but the city mileage is definately a couple mpg worse. Some of that could be that I have 4wd now (although I only run in 2wd), as well as the new truck being slightly heavier. But I would like to get it on par for city driving at a minimum.
Old June 28th, 2007, 2:16 PM
Administrator

Most brands of gas now have about the same level of detergency. I just buy my Techron when Advance Auto has their buy one, get one free deal.

FWIW I'm getting 13-13.5 in town and that's with mostly short trips and very little hwy. Best hwy was last trip back from lake at 19.6.

Unless you are using a programmer, anything over 87 octane is just like throwing your money out the window. IMO
Old June 28th, 2007, 5:12 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: toydriver00

According to tests that I have read, Penzoil is actually better than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 does not reach its prime until about 5000 miles

I'd sure like to see that test paper.
Old June 29th, 2007, 1:39 PM
CF Junior Member

I was just reading a motortrend test of the 07 Suburban LTZ 4WD and they reported only 10 mpg in the city. I don't feel so bad now. I would still like to get to a consistant 15 mpg city however.
Old June 30th, 2007, 9:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fbickley
I would still like to get to a consistant 15 mpg city however.
If you can figure how to do that, please let us know

Quick Reply: Best performance chip for Mileage increase?