Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Tahoe LTZ problem please help

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2019, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Tahoe LTZ electrical problem please help

Hi guys this is my first post to this forum but I'm hoping someone out there has dealt with this issue I'm having and can shed some light on my current situation so here goes.

So I have a 07 tahoe and I noticed my negative battery cable was a little janky. So I changed the negative battery cable after I changed the alternator and starter. Now my truck wont start. Lights on my dash board are coming on when I turn the key but that's it.

I have went over both locations on the truck where the negative grounds one on the engine block an one on the frame of the car. Still it wont start. Also my key fob is no longer locking or unlocking my doors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by J Cash Jr; October 6th, 2019 at 9:08 PM.
Old October 5th, 2019, 10:12 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by J Cash Jr
Hi guys this is my first post to this forum
I should simply ignore your post because your title is so vague and uninformative.

Originally Posted by J Cash Jr
So I have a 07 tahoe and I noticed my negative battery cable was a little janky. So I changed the negative battery cable after I changed the alternator and starter. Now my truck wont start. Lights on my dash board are coming on when I turn the key but that's it.

I have went over both locations on the truck where the negative grounds one on the engine block an one on the frame of the car. Still it wont start. Also my key fob is no longer locking or unlocking my doors.
Were the starter AND alternator actually BAD? Typically, I'd suspect the new starter, but seems that you have other electrical issues now. So I would like to know (1) voltage across the battery terminals at "rest", (2) voltage across the battery terminals when pushing the fob buttons, (3) voltage across the battery terminals when parking lights are switched on.

Then do a jump start - if that can be done. Then I'd like to know (4) voltage across the battery terminals.
Old October 5th, 2019, 11:16 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

did you have this issue before you changed anything?
Old October 6th, 2019, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Before I changed the starter and the alternator I had a problem with starting but the new negative cable seem to correct that problem. Then I changed starter an alternator and got the same issue I was having before. The starter was actually bad an needed tonne changed the alternator I changed just to be diligent.

Last time I checked the battery it read 9.5 I did take it to get a charge put on it I'm going in morning to do more work.

Last edited by J Cash Jr; October 6th, 2019 at 9:06 PM.
Old October 6th, 2019, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Did you have to "reset/relearn" your BCM after disconnecting your battery? (Does your vehicle crank or no noise at all? If it cranks but won't start some folks have said, on-line, that the re-learn procedure needs done on some vehicles once you've disconnected the battery).
Old October 6th, 2019, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

The Body Control Module loses its memory, for example, any time the battery is disconnected or replaced (Chevy certain years, mine doesn't have a BCM, I think). Reset/relearn:
Make sure the battery if fully charged because this procedure may take up to 30 minutes and you cannot start the vehicle during this time.

1. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine, the vehicle will not start, release the key to the ON position.

2. Observe the SECURITY light. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait approximately 10 minutes until the security light turns off.

The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Pass lock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

3. Turn the key to OFF for 10 seconds.

4. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine. If it starts and run, the system has reset. If it doesn’t start or run and release the key to the ON position and complete the rest of the steps.

5. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

6. Turn the key to OFF and wait 10 seconds.

7. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the ON position.

8. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

9. Turn the key to OFF and wait 10 seconds.

10. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the voltage reading coming back from the ignition switch.
Old October 6th, 2019, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

If your vehicle doesn't crank at all: One of the possibilities (many): Have you checked your "starter relay"? (mine is under the hood, on the driver side, an "under the hood fuse block" black boxy container that has "latches" to open it). When someone is turning the key the other person can be up front listening for a "clicking" noise when the key is turned to crank. My "relay" (99 tahoe) is the same and can be interchanged with the ac relay to test. Some folks say that the vehicle will run without the starter relay--just hard to start. Some folks have their relay in other spots. I don't know much about it (why am I even suggesting it then? Because it is one of the items I came across when "eliminating" items because mine won't start (but does crank).
There is a process...Do you have spark? Do you have fuel?...etc.
Old October 7th, 2019, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Duct Tape n Bailing Wire
Did you have to "reset/relearn" your BCM after disconnecting your battery? (Does your vehicle crank or no noise at all? If it cranks but won't start some folks have said, on-line, that the re-learn procedure needs done on some vehicles once you've disconnected the battery).

I cant get to relearn mode the only relearn mode pops up is relearn tires. When I turn the key it does nothing makes no noise a slight click sound from under the hood but that's all. The dashboard lights up normal my security light is not one of the lights that stay on. How do you relearn the BCM?
Old October 8th, 2019, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Did you try what "Cusser" suggested and get back to her with answers about battery voltage and the tests she recommended?

My other post told the way I read about "relearning the BCM", but since your vehicle doen't "crank over but not start, or dies immediately" I don't know that that solution would be applicable for your problem. I just figured if your security light was doing something weird, which it sounds like it is not, then the mention of the "FAB/key not doing doors" was a possibility. (less likely the problem since no security light problem).

Anyway, the relearn BCM for SOME vehicles is listed above (on my other response). Also another part of relearn for some vehicles was different than that listed above...
For future reference for some folks vehicles (mine): "Get in truck/car. Lock all the doors. Unlock the driver door. Get out of the SUV/truck/car, lock driver door, close driver door. Unlock driver door USING THE KEY. Leave driver door open (use something to keep it open if you need to). Make sure dome light is lit. (Ignition OFF; key REMOVED). Open the hood. Go around to the battery. Disconnect the "positive" battery cable MAKING SURE NOT TO TOUCH THE CABLE TO ANYTHING (or you could short out your vehicles computer). Touch the positive cable to the positive battery pole (the thing you disconnected it from) 3 times. Wait a few seconds, then reconnect the positive cable to the positive battery pole, making sure it is snug. Go start the car and see if it does start.

This is what I read and I am no mechanic...Just sharing what I have tried/read. That last reference I mentioned sometimes works for my vehicle/sometimes doesn't. My SUV is an older model.

I read that you already replaced...starter (solenoid connected?), alternator, made sure your "ground" is connected and good. So I won't suggest any of these for the "no crank issue".

Have you checked your starter relay? Ignition relay? (both in under hood fuse block/box on my tahoe 99-black box with latches) My starter relay is same volts as the AC relay and can be interchanged to test. Some say you can start the car (will be hard) if starter relay is bad. Others say by pass your relay to test (remove fuse and a jumper wire across-don't know if there would be safety issues cause don't know much about this at all).
Some say check the ignition itself. (the thing the key goes into). You would have to read up on your style vehicle if this is the case cause mine is an old type and different than yours.
It sounds like you hear the starter solenoid click like it's trying to do what it should do.