Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

To Burb or not to Burb

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2008, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Burb or not to Burb

The wife and I have been looking at numerous different vehicles lately to pull the family 6000 lb boat occasionally and to be a daily driver for her also. We test drove a van, tahoe, Burb and an expedition. The van is out she doesn't like the bus feel. The tahoe doesn't have enough room behind the third row seat when it is in use, so the tahoe is out. I didn't like the comfort of the seats in the ford so that is out. That leaves us getting a Burb. Now granted the Burb is big. But the wife is used to a large suv. We had a Sequoia but need more hauling room at times.

From 2003 - 2005 which year and model have been the most reliable and liked. I owned a 05 silverado 2500 with the 6.0 gas motor in it. Got rid of it due to MPG never got above 12 on its best day. MPG definitely plays apart in our decision but reliablity and comfort and safety have the highest priority.

Would love to here about some of the pluses and some of the minus's of the year Suburbans that I mentioned. Are there things to watch out for, Stuff like that.

There are alot of them in great shape out there coming in off leases and such. Going to purchase in the near future.

Thanks for any advise

FM5
Old February 13th, 2008, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: To Burb or not to Burb

Your on a chevy forum, so your feedback may be biased. I've got one and have elected to stick with it for the long haul at this point.

However, if I were to do it over, I would have gone with a Diesel Excursion. Plenty big. Drives much more like a truck, however, than a Suburban.
Old February 17th, 2008, 9:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Your not going to get more then 12 MPG with the burb nether and that's with onlytwo people and nothing in tow.

More people and something in tow means way less then 12 MPG.

Good Luck

Old February 18th, 2008, 10:14 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

why get a 2500 Burb, a 1500 will easily pull 6000 lbs, and then you dont get the big 6.0....and you get AFM for when the boat is not in tow.....

me I would look for a 07 buy back 1500 burb..

OR not sure how big the family is but an Avalanche has TONS of covered locking storage, is is able to pull your boat as well, and hauls 5 in comfort....6 if you have to.
Old February 18th, 2008, 1:06 PM
CF Junior Member

I love my '99. Yes, it's older than your range, but I get 17 mpg highway (5.7 Vortec with 4L60E trans, 2wd) with all four kids and their stuff (3 girls and 1 boy...girls have a LOT of sutff!)
Mine is the 1500 (1/2 ton) with a 7500 lb tow rating. Unless you are towing really big things a lot or long diastances, I wouldn't worry about the heavy 3/4 ton.
Old February 20th, 2008, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

We are leaning towards a 1500 series. The 2500's sure are nice but I think the term overkill comes into play here.

Thanks all for there input.

FM5

The wife doesn't like the avalanches " To truck like for her taste"
Old February 20th, 2008, 4:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Familymanof5

We are leaning towards a 1500 series. The 2500's sure are nice but I think the term overkill comes into play here.

FM5

just look at it from the front its a tahoe then, only from the side you see the box...LOL.....
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:04 PM
CF Junior Member

I have an 03 1500 2wd burb. My wife has been driving recently and she gets about 16 around town and when we take a trip we average about 19 to 21. The only thing I have done to it is added a K&N FIPK.

Never had any problems with it either. Drives great
Old March 18th, 2008, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: MalibuMaxxSS

ORIGINAL: Familymanof5

FM5

just look at it from the front its a tahoe then, only from the side you see the box...LOL.....

tell your wife that the Avalanche is a Suburban with the roof cut off of the back.

Old March 18th, 2008, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

my moms 05 burb is soo comfortable. gets around 18 to the gallon usualy where we drive it. verry family friendly suv and great for long trips with the touch screen navigation and the dvd player.

Quick Reply: To Burb or not to Burb