Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dash Cam - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2014, 9:55 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dash Cam - Worth it?

How many of you guys have a dash cam?

Now that they are $15ish on eBay... I'm thinking of getting one to start, with a 2nd for a rear facing one.

I drive in traffic to/from a city all week... and feel I get cut-off more than I should. I maintain a safe distance from the power-wheels vehicle in front of me, because my Tahoe doesn't stop on a dime. 6,000 lbs will do that... it's call physics.

So, for $15 I can record my trips, and many now have motion sensor recording... you can leave it 'on' 24/7 and it records only when there is motion... parking lots, garages, etc.

I planned on one for my Tesla (actually 4, one on each side)... $100k car I can justify $60 in cameras that run 24/7. Fine I'm paranoid, but hey.. a Loaded Tahoe is now pushing $70,000

so...

Ohh I've also been rear-ended twice and had to nail the brakes yesterday on the way to work to not total a Nissan w/a small child in a car seat in the back.

2 5" LCD HD Full 1080p Car DVR Dash Camera Video Recorder G Sensor Night Vision | eBay

New 1 5" Full HD 1080p Car DVR Vehicle Camera Video Recorder Dash Cam G Sensor | eBay

Think these are any good at these prices?
Old November 22nd, 2014, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Let's see $15 for that one and about $300 for a GoPro. I think this may be an extreme example of you get what you pay for. But for $15 it might be worth a try.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 10:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought two through best buy, work great. They did not com with the sd card so was a little more coin for that. I have not had to use them yet(as i have not had a accident) but if and when the time comes it may save my bacon, small price to pay to potentially keep you out of jail, lower insurance etc. Of Course it could also work against you. LOL
Old November 23rd, 2014, 7:20 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

My E-Prance 801 is still going good and I have had no problems with it, I have it set to come on with ignition on and off with ignition off... I only have it facing forward. The video is very clear and resolution is plenty sharp for license plates. I got it off of Amazon for $70, I did have to purchase a separate 32GB micro SD card.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 7:41 AM
Administrator

This is a pretty good review on the cam,if you opt to get this cam be sure you are getting the E-prance, there are knock offs... usually the ones "shipped and sold by amazon" are the genuine ones...
Old November 24th, 2014, 6:13 AM
CF Addict

Default Ordered

Ordered a $15 on eBay.

I have a Countour+2 camera (like a go pro), but it can't be set for motion sensing recording.

at $15 I thought I'd give it a shot.

When it arrives in 2-4 months I'll give it a review.
Old November 24th, 2014, 7:39 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Ordered a $15 on eBay.

I have a Countour+2 camera (like a go pro), but it can't be set for motion sensing recording.

at $15 I thought I'd give it a shot.

When it arrives in 2-4 months I'll give it a review.
lol 2-4 months... guess we know where that is coming from....
what was the brand, have you looked it up on Youtube for any reviews?
Old November 24th, 2014, 8:14 AM
CF Addict

Car DVR HD 720P Camera Recorder Motion Dash Camera Video Camera IR Night Vision | eBay

I couldn't find an obvious model name or number. but for $15 I thought I'd give it a try.

the plan is to get a 32GB card and power it 24/7, with it set to record when there is motion.

So I'm hoping that means people walking by or cars when it's in the parking garage, or if I'm driving.

My optima yellow top should have no issues powering this thing 24/7... but we shall see (it's 5 years old now).

I did find this video

If it does what I want, I'll pickup another to point out the back of the truck (I park nose in, in the garage). should give me almost 360 coverage of the truck.
Old November 24th, 2014, 12:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is the one i have, works great, has good picture and sound.
Old November 24th, 2014, 1:58 PM
CF Addict

Default nice

good deal.

Can I ask how you wired it? Is it on a keyed power? On/off w/truck?

Do you power 24/7 and use the motion sensing like I plan to?

Has it saved your butt in any traffic situations?

Quick Reply: Dash Cam - Worth it?