Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dome light fuse blown, 1999 Suburban.

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2015, 7:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome light fuse blown, 1999 Suburban.

So out of no where, (seems that way) we have no dome or interior lights other than the instrument lights. I checked the fuse and it's blown. Naturally I tried a new one(I know, I know, it's just my nature!) and it blew, and it blew with sparks! So I am assuming it is a pretty solid short. So my first thought would be the drivers door as there is a courteousy light in the door panel that comes on when the door is opened. I have changed the door latches many times and it is the most opened and closed door on the car. Nothing was out of order there. Does anyone know if this is a cronic problem? Just looking for a road map to tackle this before I give up and take it to my repair shop.

Thank!

V-465
Old May 5th, 2015, 5:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Finding a short circuit can be frustrating. To save fuses, use a multimeter to measure the resistance or make up a 12V light bulb/socket that you can insert into the fuse panel in place of the blown fuse. If the light is full bright then the short is still there. With the test bulb in place you can move wire harnesses around looking for chafed wires. The test light will blink/flicker when you find the chaffed wire. There is an Interior Lamp Control Module that I'd check by unplugging. Also check the wiring to the sunshade mirror lights, glove box light, the other doors, and any other courtesy lights. Good luck!
Old May 6th, 2015, 2:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bulb socket maybe causing the problem. You should pull all the bulbs, then switch them on and replace the busted fuse.
Old May 19th, 2015, 9:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed the Dome Lights!

So I did some digging in my own mechanical way. Started thinking of everything I've done that may have contributed to the fuse blowing. Recalled that I had changed both visors (and they have lights in em) with used ones from Ebaymotors. Sure enough the visor on the passenger side was the culprit.

Nice
Eric
Old May 20th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Glad you found the problem. Thanks for reporting back with your solution. That's what makes the form work.