Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

GM Active Fuel Management Woes

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2014, 9:30 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Not that its a huge concession, but are they going to also give you a loaner vehicle while they work on yours?
IF you can't get them to budge on the splitting of the cost at least get them to give you a vehicle for the duration...
I might also add that you may want to drop yours off on a Friday so that you get the loaner for the weekend, ask if you can use the 2015 Tahoe or Suburban
Old April 17th, 2014, 9:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi kman4015,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing oil consumption concerns on your vehicle. Were you able to speak with the customer service department? We cannot guarantee a different resolution; however, if you could provide us with your contact information and VIN through a private message, we can look further into the situation.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by kman4015
Well, I spent time at the Chevrolet dealership this morning and have the results of the oil consumption test. After about 1,400 miles, it was determined that nearly 2 quarts of oil were used! This, in addition to the information gathered at the first appointment, led them to the inevitable conclusion that it is the piston and rings that need to be replaced. Now, the first offer from GM and the dealership was for GM to pay 45% of the $2,970 repair bill. I will make a call to the GM call center to see if there is anything else.

I'm not sure what to do - a little too late to try and sell since it now smokes like crazy at start up. No good options.

Brian
Old April 17th, 2014, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Not that its a huge concession, but are they going to also give you a loaner vehicle while they work on yours?
IF you can't get them to budge on the splitting of the cost at least get them to give you a vehicle for the duration...
I might also add that you may want to drop yours off on a Friday so that you get the loaner for the weekend, ask if you can use the 2015 Tahoe or Suburban

In2pro, no worries there. While I was at the dealership dealing with this issue, our salesman (who we have bought multiple cars from) was trying to convince me to take a look at the new Suburbans! Ummm, and the sticker on these new ones is $68,000!! Man, for $68,000 I have a lot of choices and I don't know if Chevrolet is on that list.

I just looked at him and did not say anything (what a time to try and sell me a new one).
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I just bought a 2007 suburban ltz with 152k miles. I have a 6.0 with active fuel management (AFM). I got the maintenance history from the dealer and found out it got a new remanufactured engine 24k miles ago in June of 2012.
Does anyone know if GM fixed the problem they had with their 07 ~ 09 AFM engines? Or is it likely that my engine will have the same problem again on the future?

Last edited by Davpmars; April 20th, 2014 at 1:39 PM.
Old April 21st, 2014, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 chevy on slippery slope?

I bought a 2007 extended cab z71 with 77,xxx miles in January 2013, I have put 3 quarts of oil in it since I've had the truck, it now has 88,150 miles. Is the engine in my truck on a slippery slope to failing? I bought a Zurich extended warranty for 24 month/24,000 miles, but I bought the truck at a Dodge dealer. Should I call Zurich to see if I can have the truck checked at GM shop or local reputable shop? The previous owner used Royal Purple on all changes, and I have always used synthetic as well.
Thanks for any input.
Old April 21st, 2014, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

I would have an oil consumption test done under whatever the terms of your Zürich warranty call for. Most mechanics who work regularly on these GM engines are aware of the problems with AFM. My regular mechanic is the one that advised I go and have my Suburban checked at a GM dealership and assess the problem.
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:30 PM
CF Junior Member

The more I read about the AFM problems, the less I think that type of oil is the reason they fail or don't fail. Seems like it's a bit random, I don't sense that people with synthetic oil are spared while dino oil makes it more likely to happen. Maybe I'm wrong, not sure.

3 quarts in 11,000 miles is not as bad as some have reported here, seems to me if you can go over 3,500 miles and burn a quart that's not a problem unless you see the consumption increasing. I agree get it checked out by the warranty service.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:10 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartman
I bought a 2007 extended cab z71 with 77,xxx miles in January 2013, I have put 3 quarts of oil in it since I've had the truck, it now has 88,150 miles. Is the engine in my truck on a slippery slope to failing? I bought a Zurich extended warranty for 24 month/24,000 miles, but I bought the truck at a Dodge dealer. Should I call Zurich to see if I can have the truck checked at GM shop or local reputable shop? The previous owner used Royal Purple on all changes, and I have always used synthetic as well.
Thanks for any input.
Hello Bartman,

I'm sorry to hear about this concern you are having with your vehicle. If you would like me to locate and contact a preferred GM dealership on your behalf, I would be happy to do so. Send a PM my way with your VIN, current mileage, and some contact info so I can further assist you.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were using what ever synthetic the auto stores had on sale from 50K to 96K. Then one morning at 96K miles a loud squeak/tick started. Took to a chevy dealer "sounds normal". Wow. A guy with an H2 at a gas station right after heard me pull in and kindly asked if I heard the noise and if everything was alright. I told him I just went to the dealer and they said it was "normal". He said that was NOT normal, thats what I thought! So I followed my brother in-laws advice and quickly changed to Mobil 1. That helped suppress the noise and the following oil change I had a little TOO much metallic paste on the drain plug... Well, now at 135K miles and, its running fine! Still have a slight tick and squeak but the motor runs fine. Haven't touched it, just stayed true to Mobil 1 and a good filter. The V4 still works, motor seems to have plenty of power when towing (would like more than just 310hp and 330 ft/lb torque :P). I seem to have been very lucky. I am not about to shell out $2,500 to have the dealer fix it. For that I'd do it my self, put a cam and intake on while I'm at it...

Well ran fine till yesturday when a coil pack went bad. Thing sure ran like crap! No traction, no stabilitrac, couldn't idle, kept stalling, lurching like crazy while driving... Yay, more work to be done just after the 3rd new compressor got installed!... The ACDelco was $110 and BWD $90. BWD was in stock. Used $30 off, so $66 after tax, go to pick it up, and in the box was the ACDelco! They said, not our problem, you take it. So got the $110 part for $66 That eased the pain.

Last edited by Joe In NY; April 22nd, 2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your advice. I called Zurich today and the guy seemed to know a lot about these issues with the engines. He advised that it is was really up to me whether I took the truck to a GM shop or a local shop for an oil consumption test. I suppose it would make most sense to take to a gm shop as they work on them more. Should I expect to pay for the test? The adviser said the gm shop he worked at didn't charge as it was no labor and just a documentation of oil level, but he said things may have changed.

Quick Reply: GM Active Fuel Management Woes