Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Heater Hose Quick Connect Stupidity

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2014, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heater Hose Quick Connect Stupidity

I will begin this by saying I am stupid. Just so we have that out of the way>>

So, the Heater Hose on my 1999 Suburban 1500 4wd decided after almost 200,000 miles it needed to rest.

In looking at the horrific condition of the hose and the accumulated build up on the inside of the quick connector I started cleaning it out and noticed an O-Ring had popped out a bit down inside.

Naturally being brilliant I used a pick tool to push it back in place. In the process the tip which is a 4 inch long shaft of metal slid right down into the Quick Connector, and I'm assuming the bowels of the engine. Basically it's the shape of a very long jewelers screw driver tip, came as part of a set of those and it's usually handy for this kind of thing. Never expected it to just pop out of it's holder, frankly didn't know it could.

I've tried pick up tools. And I've tried magnets. I even cut a length of flexible magnetic strip 1/4 and slid it down in there 16 inches. It if it is down there... it's not accessible by normal means. I have confirmed from checking another one of these - the tips are made out of some kind of pot metal that magnets won't do anything with.

I've hunted around for it with a claw pickup tool to no avail. The flexible claw tool seems to act as if it's in a shaft with bend at the bottom, but all the video and exploded views I've seen of the 350 5.7l would indicate this has gone down into the engine.

That was stupid.

So... Now comes the dumber question....

I've done everything I can to retrieve this shy of taking the top of the engine apart down to the lower intake manifold.

How much trouble would I have if I... left it in there?

I'm assuming since this is on the cooling side of things it isn't quite as bad as it could be - but this is pretty bad and I can't just let it go, slap the new hose and connector in place and pretend like this never happened and hope it's in a spot it can't be dislodged from.

Guessing that's not my luck is it?

Last edited by R_Jake; August 6th, 2014 at 8:38 PM.
Old August 6th, 2014, 8:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it that much. It would have to work it's way into the water pump to cause any real damage. That seems really unlikely.....
Old August 6th, 2014, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Well that's somewhat reassuring. I honestly can't figure out how it can make that turn to go anywhere - I just can't get anything that can grab on to it. Claws can't seem to grip.

Just to update...

Decided to change out the connector since those are legendary for going bad and figured having that if the O-rings were that corroded it would be a good idea. Naturally it was tight, applied a bit of pressure. Snapped right off.

So now, working what's left of it it out with an easy-out, and it's still not turning. I suspect eventually it will either give or snap soon.

Cannot believe this half our job is hanging through.
Old August 7th, 2014, 8:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R_Jake

So now, working what's left of it it out with an easy-out, and it's still not turning. I suspect eventually it will either give or snap soon.

Cannot believe this half our job is hanging through.

The trick with those threads is take a hack saw blade and make two cuts 90 degrees to the threads. You don't even have to cut the whole way thru the threads, that material is very fragile. Then you can break the threads out in a couple pieces by tapping with a screw driver and hammer. The replacement part is much better material.
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

I'll give it a shot. Hole is small enough I'm not sure I can get a hacksaw blade in there. Might get a file and see if I can get it.

Trying to be careful not to damage the threads naturally, but I get the gist of what your saying.

Thanks.