Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Knocking noise on suburban

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2010, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise on suburban

Hey everyone, I have a 1997 gmc suburban 5.7L N/A, has about 80,000 miles, most of which was used for towing a boat or getting construction parts or other heavy loads.
When the car is on the freeway generally 65+ if the car Idles or coasts to a lower speed then it makes this Loud *** knocking/clanking noise, if the brake is engaged then the noise cuts off rather abruptly. I also believe turning might stop the noise(not sure on that one)

I know a good amount about cars, could this be the Flywheel or crankshaft bearing due to high rpms with towing?

any help would be awesome.
Old October 20th, 2010, 7:50 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't know if this is your issue but I know on my 97 tahoe with a 5.7 I had to run at lest mid-grade or premium for spark knock... you might try a few tanks of high octane fuel to see if it changes the condition
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a. 4wd?
b. what turns may stop the noise, left or right?
c. noise only on coast or deceleration not on accel? Nor if the brakes are applied?
d. does it sound like its coming from the front or rear or middle of the car?
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

It is a 4wd not Awd.
I think its both left or right, but not sure.
but yes the noise is only on coast or idling, Accelerating or braking puts it to a stop

it sounds like its coming from the engine compartment but it is very noticeable throughout the whole car.

I will also try the premium gas, thanks
Old October 21st, 2010, 8:18 AM
Administrator

IF its not happening under load its likely not ping or knock so high octane won't help... sounds like you might have a connecting rod coming loose...
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Admosin
It is a 4wd not Awd.
I think its both left or right, but not sure.
but yes the noise is only on coast or idling, Accelerating or braking puts it to a stop

it sounds like its coming from the engine compartment but it is very noticeable throughout the whole car.

I will also try the premium gas, thanks
I d check the locking hubs in the front. If its that electronic shift on the fly junk one wheel may be locked and the other free-wheeling. And look behind the steering knuckle also. The axle shafts arent the same length in the front so the shorter axle may may have a bad CV joint and or no grease in the boot. Jack it up and take a look.
Old October 21st, 2010, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
I d check the locking hubs in the front. If its that electronic shift on the fly junk one wheel may be locked and the other free-wheeling. And look behind the steering knuckle also. The axle shafts arent the same length in the front so the shorter axle may may have a bad CV joint and or no grease in the boot. Jack it up and take a look.
Aight man, ill do that. thanks for helping
Old October 22nd, 2010, 2:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
IF its not happening under load its likely not ping or knock so high octane won't help... sounds like you might have a connecting rod coming loose...
Kinda feared as much, thanks for the advice
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Administrator

If you can drop the oil pan a quick inspection of the connecting rods and caps to the crank is easy enough...
You may want to try a stethoscope or the trusty closet rod dowel to different places on the the engine block to see if you can identify any sounds while the engine is idling.. if something is loose inside the engine it will also make noise at idle it just may be harder to hear....
Its actually pretty cool to "hear" the inside of your engine working...
and I will state the obvious of "Be careful when placing anything on the running engine that is attached to your body"...

FYI harbor freight has them for $8 or less http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html

Last edited by in2pro; October 22nd, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
If you can drop the oil pan a quick inspection of the connecting rods and caps to the crank is easy enough...
You may want to try a stethoscope or the trusty closet rod dowel to different places on the the engine block to see if you can identify any sounds while the engine is idling.. if something is loose inside the engine it will also make noise at idle it just may be harder to hear....
Its actually pretty cool to "hear" the inside of your engine working...
and I will state the obvious of "Be careful when placing anything on the running engine that is attached to your body"...

FYI harbor freight has them for $8 or less http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html
"Be careful when placing anything on the running engine that is attached to your body"... Lol, you just made my day.
but ya your right ill try hearing it when idling
thanks

Quick Reply: Knocking noise on suburban