Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2015, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***update***update***update***update***

**Emergency light, Traction Control light & ABS light on at same time**

I have a 2006 Tahoe LS 4.7L
About a year ago all three lights came on and stayed on for about three months. At the time my high mount brake light and tail gait actuator were out. I thought i might have a short which was causing the three lights to come on. I changed the tail gate actuator and replaced the high mount brake light. The three lights went away after doing so. about a month later the lights came back on. I noticed that my high mount brake light was out again. replaced it again and lights went away.
About two months ago the three lights came back on. Another problem that arose was that the air conditioner will not work when the three lights are on. Every once in a while, on a fluke, the AC would work. As soon as the truck was off, and turned on again, or when the AC was turned off, once again i had to air.
I took my Tahoe to a new mechanic that was highly recommended by a friend. He checked into it and found two shorts in my electrical system. One short was in my AC control module and the other in my ABS control module. Both wiring systems associated with these devices were getting grounded which was affecting the 5v ref. wire for each. The ABS module ground issue made the three lights come on and the AC module ground issue prevented the AC from working. My mechanic fixed the issue and all worked fine for a day. Two days later all three lights came on and the AC stopped working again. Took it back to him and he investigated further. He found another short, now in my fuse box on the side of the dash. Apparently when i had an aftermarket DVD player installed at Circuit City about 8 yrs ago, they wired it straight to my fuse box at the 30a fuse. He noticed that the back of the fuse box, behind the 30a fuse (which is used for the ignition, AC, ABS, Traction Control and a few other items) the plastic had began to melt slightly. Apparently with the DVD player powered directly into that 30a fuse, and the AC getting its power from that same fuse, it was overloading it beyond capacity, thus the slight melting of the plastic in the fuse box. After the three lights stopped coming on as soon as i turned on the truck, they would come on as soon as i turned on the AC. Since the AC needs a lot of power to operate, it was draining power from the ABS and traction control, so the lights would come on.
There are two wires that connect to a single wire, which then attaches to the back of the 30a fuse. He connected those two wires to a separate fuse and then connected the fuse to the single wire that attaches to the back of the 30a fuse. This in turn, splits the 30a power into two sources of 15a power. (I forgot to mention that he had rewired my DVD player and it is now powered the correct way and not directly to my fuse box.) Now when i turn on my AC it is not trying to drain all of the power from the 30a fuse which would cause the three lights to come on.
Its been two weeks so far since this was all done and i have not seen the three lights come on and my AC is working perfectly.

For all you having the same issue, go see someone who specializes in electrical systems. Most mechanics, and even dealers, don't take the time to check electrical because of the time involved. My mechanic did and found the problems.

I too had been given the run around by other mechanics just wanting my money. I went from saving $1200 for an ABS Control Module replacement & $270 for a AC Blower Resistor replacement to only spending $400 to have the electrical checked and shorts fixed.

Ill keep you posted in the coming months whether the lights come back on and how my AC is doing.

FYI, my mechanic is in San Pedro, CA
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jzamo
**Emergency light, Traction Control light & ABS light on at same time**

I have a 2006 Tahoe LS 4.7L
About a year ago all three lights came on and stayed on for about three months. At the time my high mount brake light and tail gait actuator were out. I thought i might have a short which was causing the three lights to come on. I changed the tail gate actuator and replaced the high mount brake light. The three lights went away after doing so. about a month later the lights came back on. I noticed that my high mount brake light was out again. replaced it again and lights went away.
About two months ago the three lights came back on. Another problem that arose was that the air conditioner will not work when the three lights are on. Every once in a while, on a fluke, the AC would work. As soon as the truck was off, and turned on again, or when the AC was turned off, once again i had to air.
I took my Tahoe to a new mechanic that was highly recommended by a friend. He checked into it and found two shorts in my electrical system. One short was in my AC control module and the other in my ABS control module. Both wiring systems associated with these devices were getting grounded which was affecting the 5v ref. wire for each. The ABS module ground issue made the three lights come on and the AC module ground issue prevented the AC from working. My mechanic fixed the issue and all worked fine for a day. Two days later all three lights came on and the AC stopped working again. Took it back to him and he investigated further. He found another short, now in my fuse box on the side of the dash. Apparently when i had an aftermarket DVD player installed at Circuit City about 8 yrs ago, they wired it straight to my fuse box at the 30a fuse. He noticed that the back of the fuse box, behind the 30a fuse (which is used for the ignition, AC, ABS, Traction Control and a few other items) the plastic had began to melt slightly. Apparently with the DVD player powered directly into that 30a fuse, and the AC getting its power from that same fuse, it was overloading it beyond capacity, thus the slight melting of the plastic in the fuse box. After the three lights stopped coming on as soon as i turned on the truck, they would come on as soon as i turned on the AC. Since the AC needs a lot of power to operate, it was draining power from the ABS and traction control, so the lights would come on.
There are two wires that connect to a single wire, which then attaches to the back of the 30a fuse. He connected those two wires to a separate fuse and then connected the fuse to the single wire that attaches to the back of the 30a fuse. This in turn, splits the 30a power into two sources of 15a power. (I forgot to mention that he had rewired my DVD player and it is now powered the correct way and not directly to my fuse box.) Now when i turn on my AC it is not trying to drain all of the power from the 30a fuse which would cause the three lights to come on.
Its been two weeks so far since this was all done and i have not seen the three lights come on and my AC is working perfectly.

For all you having the same issue, go see someone who specializes in electrical systems. Most mechanics, and even dealers, don't take the time to check electrical because of the time involved. My mechanic did and found the problems.

I too had been given the run around by other mechanics just wanting my money. I went from saving $1200 for an ABS Control Module replacement & $270 for a AC Blower Resistor replacement to only spending $400 to have the electrical checked and shorts fixed.

Ill keep you posted in the coming months whether the lights come back on and how my AC is doing.

FYI, my mechanic is in San Pedro, CA

Sheesh! Electrical problems suck! Glad to hear that you found the problem and agree that not all mechanics troubleshoot electrical issues. I question why the radio was installed on that circuit and not the circuit for the radio. Possibly you had an amp installed as well? Well, thanks for the info. Another thing to look for.

+ Joe
Old March 9th, 2015, 2:30 PM
hvw
CF Beginner

I've been reading the service Stabiltrak post and I have a similar problem including reduced power to the engine. If I stop the engine and restart it the message goes away.

The difference between my problem and most others is my Acadia is a 2013 with 47000 miles. I just stopped by the Dealer to schedule a check and the service lady said whatever the problem was, it would not be covered under warranty. She said I have a bumper to bumper warranty but this problem isn't included. What in the world?

Hopefully the Chevrolet Customer Support member will see this post.
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'd ask the service writer to show me in the warranty where it is excluded. Do you have and extended warranty or just the OEM 36 mo/36K? Or maybe it falls under the 5yr/100K Power Train warranty.
Old March 10th, 2015, 6:01 AM
hvw
CF Beginner

I have the standard warranty. This was a program car I bought from the dealer. Good advice on asking to see where it's excluded.
Old March 10th, 2015, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Stablitract was fixed

I had the same problem last week and its been going on for month in the cold weather. I finally had enough of it. The dealer told me that they saw the error codes but wouldnt fix it until it was actively jacked up. Well on my way to work last Thursday, i did I pilled over and called a tow truck. I left it running, loaded it on the tow truck running and took it to the dealer. Dealer hooked up the computer saw the active codes, it was a throttle body sensor and had the reprogram the computer. All covered under warranty. I have 60K miles on my 2011 Silverado. So far so good, but then it hasnt been under 20 degrees yet.
Old March 13th, 2015, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default GM Reps New Protocall

Attention All GM Reps

Speaking for myself only.I don't spend time looking for answers online for any product unless its a ditch effort.
Reason being i have already discussed whatever issue with the dealer,the technicians,service managers,car salesman,the janitor at dealership..
I'm assuming you are a real GM customer rep.Ill also concede the following in your favor.
That you have guidelines on how you deal with customers
That you have limited power to make decisions.
That you are probably doing your best at consoling people.

Therefore Id like you to think over my opinion.
I am online because I need answers that GM cant or wont help me with..
It actually sheds a bad light on GM for any representative to give the advice that seems to be given by all manufacturers.

That we take it to a certified technician at a dealership.
Firstly most of us if you will read the post have done that.We have spent countless dollars ,days ,weeks to end up with the same issue we had to begin with..
Is GM thinking we all have learning disabilities?Does GM think having a Customer rep posting online solves anything? If it does please post a list of closed issues you have satisfied a customer with over the last six months.
Also include how many times the (Take it to a dealer) excuse was used.
Im not posting this in malice or in anyway saying we don't need customer reps.
Im saying talk to your engineers,your people in key positions that helped produce these machines.Look at the service bulletins.Do your job and help us your customers with real solutions,answers that we can use to repair our own vehicles..
Please trust my last statement is from the heart its as follows.
I would sign any hold harmless document or any other document that protects GM from any liability in return for an honest answer that address a specific issue as well as resources to deal with people who do have the answers at GM.I just want to drive my Chevy.
Thank You
Rich Cross
Linconton Ga
Old March 18th, 2015, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default stablitrak issue

I see all these posts about the stablitrak system....twice now i have had the bells and whistles go off and the lights turn on. Instead of hard shifting i get...headlights flickering and when i turn off the truck it is like i disconnected the battery. Everything dies and i cant start it.

Haven't seen anyone with that issue. Any advice?
Old March 20th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by armydude
I see all these posts about the stablitrak system....twice now i have had the bells and whistles go off and the lights turn on. Instead of hard shifting i get...headlights flickering and when i turn off the truck it is like i disconnected the battery. Everything dies and i cant start it.

Haven't seen anyone with that issue. Any advice?
Welcome to the forum..
Check and clean your battery connections, clean off the top of the battery near where the terminals sit/touch...
Old March 21st, 2015, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stabletrac error code.

I have the same issue with my 2011 Chevy Express Van. Could someone tell me the part I need to buy?

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
walleye hunter,

I would suggest you take the vehicle in for an inspection. Although the vehicle can still be driven without Stabilitrak, it would be best to make sure everything is alright.

Please keep us posted. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control