Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power Steering Experts Please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2011, 4:18 PM
Rez
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Experts Please HELP!!

'97 K1500 Suburban 5.7
198k miles

Problem - new power steering system installed and now I have no power assist in park / low speeds.

My power steering system had been working normally, however the system was leaking badly from every seal including the pittman shaft, and making a little noise. I decided to replace the entire system.

I bought a re-man gearbox and pump from Oreilly/Autozone, and new hoses as well.

My system had no hydroboost, no cooler, and no filter either. Just a pump, a gearbox, and 2 hoses.

I re-assembled everything as it was before (including EVO solenoid and orings) and rigoursly bled the system, however I still have NO power assist when the vehicle is stopped or at low speeds. I followed the instructions to the letter.

The pump circulates fluid as so - if I disconnect the RETURN hose from the PUMP and put the hose in a bucket, about 5-7 seconds of running the engine will empty the reservior into the bucket. So the fluid is obviously running from the pump through the gearbox and out the return line into the bucket. Turning the wheel does not seem to alter the flow in this situation.

I have NOT tested the pressure at the return line or used a vacuum tool on the reservior at this point. I currently lack these tools but I will certainly purchase them if necessary.

I appreciate any guidance from someone who has done this before.

Thanks!!

Old April 11th, 2011, 5:27 PM
Rez
CF Junior Member

UPDATE

The electrical plug at the EVO solenoid attached to the backside of the power steering pump has 2 wires. I just discovered that the wires were shorted right at the connection. I separated the wires, attached voltmeter, and started the car. The short obviously damaged something because the DC voltage at this connection does not get above .050 V - no matter how I turn the steering wheel.

Now my question is this - what part will be damaged resulting from a short at this location?

My chilton's manual has a wiring diagram for EVERYTHING EXCEPT the power steering components. I also can find no blown fuses - or even a fuse with anything to do with the power steering.

I'm thinking that the short may have fried the steering column position sensor located inside the cab at the base of the steering column. This seems easy enough to replace if necessary.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old April 12th, 2011, 6:43 PM
Rez
CF Junior Member

I found the problem.

My dumb A$$ does not know the difference between a thread relief and an o-ring groove.

This is especially embarassing for me - an engineer who has designed oring grooves and thread reliefs for similiar components in the very recent past.

I guess the moral of the story is to slow down and think carefully about every step that you are doing.

This pic shows how I assembled the EVO valve before - when the steering didn't work. The correct oring placement is to the right of the oring's current location.

This very small error resulted in a total shutdown of the power steering assist.

Old April 12th, 2011, 9:07 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Oops!
Old April 12th, 2011, 9:14 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes but you have provided us with a visual reminder and lesson..