Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

My 1998 Chevy Suburban is not holding coolant. Running very poorly

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2015, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1998 Chevy Suburban is not holding coolant. Running very poorly

My 1998 V8 Suburban recently started acting up. It's not holding water; there's no leak in radiator, I can't see where the coolant is going. As I add water in the radiator, the level quickly goes down to the bottom. I've added 6 gallons... the water is also not going inside of the engine oil compartment. I don't see the water on the ground anywhere, except for when running (very poorly) water puffs/drips out of the exhaust pipe. And water can be seen dripping slowly from the exhaust drum that's right before the pipe.

I've also noticed that the water pump is not propelling water out of its pipe; I'm assuming it's because it's not finding any.

Is this a case of a freeze plug or intake/exhaust manifold gasket/crack? I'm guessing the head gaskets have been damaged by now... because the engine is running very rough, but no water/oil mixture of any sort.

Also, where are the freeze plugs in this car (I have the EFI, Vortec V8 engine). If it was the freeze plug(s) wouldn't I see the coolant under the engine some where?

This one confuses me.
Old August 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Man, 187 views, no help?? Come on people, please give me something, anything... I'm going bunkers here!

Thanks.
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are likely burning it. I will say you have a cracked head as that is common on the vortec, sometimes the valve seat area.
Blown head gaskets usually lead to watery oil or oily water.
Cracked heads are usually one way leaks and mix in to your combustion.
Sometimes you can read the plugs and see which plug looks "steam cleaned"
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Old August 13th, 2015, 12:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Old August 13th, 2015, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

I watched both the videos you provided today, yesterday, as I was searching the Web desperately. I don't think that's my problem. I do think you're probably right about the head being cracked... because there's absolutely no oil/water mixture and no knocking yet; and the water seems to make its way to the muffler cylinder as I add it -- I poke a whole in the muffler and finally found out where my water went. LOL

The engine seems to run much better when there is no (or little) water in it. I pulled the plugs this morning, all of them were dry except one which was wet. I ran the engine for 15 seconds with that plug out and the wetness expulsed out, and doing that dried that cylinder. Put the plug back in; the engine ran much better. Then added water which it didn't hold; then began running worse as it warmed up.

QUESTION:
If it's a cracked head (as it seems), can I just put on a new head without doing the head gaskets; or is it technically the same job?

Last edited by stephh; August 13th, 2015 at 7:12 PM.
Old August 14th, 2015, 9:12 AM
CF Senior Member

You must have a set of the bad heads. Google is your friend to decide that.

Being you did that test (good for you) then yes Likely a cracked head.

Replacing the head is the same, always replaced head gaskets. Its an easy job on the vortec, well it was for me. given the other jobs you could be forced to do.
Once you pop the head all will be revealed.