Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Purchasing a used fire department Suburban?

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2015, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a used fire department Suburban?

I am looking at purchasing a used fire department suburban - 2004 2500 with just under 100,000. Any thoughts on this? I know police vehicles are not a good idea, though what about fire department trucks? Anybody out there with any experience with fire department maintenance standards and type of driving?

It's a pretty sweet red . . .
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

My Silverado was owned by a fire chief and I have had really good luck with it. Maintained very well. If the rigs are taken care of the same way I would go for it.
Old November 24th, 2015, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2000z71
My Silverado was owned by a fire chief and I have had really good luck with it. Maintained very well. If the rigs are taken care of the same way I would go for it.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that a vehicle like a Suburban or your Silverado would be used by a fire chief and not something that would be only driven hard to calls. And it seems like fire departments generally take good care of their equipment.
Old November 25th, 2015, 12:48 AM
CF Active Member

Go for it, a ONE OWNER hopefully and they take care of their vehicles. Can't go wrong with red. Mine still looks new. Good luck, JMO.
David g.
Old November 25th, 2015, 9:41 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most departments baby those rigs. They have high idle time which should be indicated by the engine hours vs mileage
Old November 25th, 2015, 1:44 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Especially if it's a 3/4 ton - those things are absolutely bulletproof.
Old November 25th, 2015, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

I will check the engine hours - this crossed my mind as something that might differ from the average civilian vehicle. Thanks for the input.
Old November 28th, 2015, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I purchased it today. Seems like a good rig, though definitely some weird wiring going on among other unusual things. It apparently was used as an equipment rig (didn't have back seats, though the fellow I bought it from had put in second and third rows) and has what looks like the male end of 120v receptacle on the back bumper. Brights on head lights and horn don't work right now because of having been rewired for flashers and sirens, and there are a couple of holes in the fenders for what were once emergency lights. So, have a couple of projects to get figured. If anyone has any advice for rewiring the lights and horn I'd certainly take it. Thanks for the input from those of you who'd purchased a fire department rig - it helped me make the decision to go for it.