Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rain Sense wipers

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2009, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rain Sense wipers

I have a 2007 Suburban LTZ with the rain sense wipers. They only work on low or high speed normal setting. When i set it to the intermitten setting, it only swipes once. The dealer said the sensor had come loose on the windshield and unit needs to be replaced that it can't be reattached. When I disconnect the wire going to the sensor, the wipers work like normal intermittent wipers. Is there any harm in leaving this disconnected as the dealer wants $400 to replace? Does it serve any other function? Or is there some type of material I can get to re-attach the sensor? the stuff that was on it looked like a clear gel or silicone material.

Thanks for any input
Old October 24th, 2009, 8:58 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The gel is to provide an optical coupling between the glass and the sensor, I think.

You might try using a rear view mirror reattachment kit. They're like super glue and inexpensive. Can't hurt.
Old October 24th, 2009, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I have some permatex I will try. Otherwise, i will just keep it disconnected. It works fine that way.
Old October 25th, 2009, 7:41 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the system works by sending a light to the windshield. It refracts through the windshield and comes back to the sensor. If there is water on the windsheld, it will change the way to light comes back and causes the wipers to start working.

What I am saying is whatever you are going to use, try to have it as close as what was originally used.
Old October 25th, 2009, 5:34 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rain

i think the wipers are funny, I have the key in, to listen to the radio when I wash the truck, i go to spray it... and the wipers come on! funny, but slightly annoying...
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

The RainSense mode is only supposed to be active in the variable range setting. If you don't want this to happen, then just rotate to off.
Old October 28th, 2009, 7:29 AM
CF Addict

Cool yes

correct, but 99% of the time it lives on the lowest setting... so when its nice and sunny out and i want to wash my car, I don't always remember to turn it off BEFORE hitting it w/the hose... then i open the door and turn them off...
Old November 28th, 2010, 5:20 PM
CF Active Member

FYI for those who want to disconnect this feature. I just did it because it is annoying not having control.

Simply pull the cover off the sensor on the windshield by pulling at the passenger side. Once exposed just unplug the sensor and reinstall the cover. Tested it and works just like a regular intermittent wiper, and slow/fast still operational.

Last edited by Zed 71; November 28th, 2010 at 5:31 PM.
Old November 29th, 2010, 7:39 AM
CF Addict

Default Not having control?!

Are you KIDDING?! I LOVE the rain sense wipers!

I drove my wife's car without rain sense and without automatic HVAC... drove me nuts!

the temp was never right; and had to keep adjusting the wipers to the car speed / rain levels...

stupid tahoe needs adaptive cruise too.... soon cars without that will look as stupid as cars without power windows and sat nav!
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:31 AM
CF Active Member

IMO it seems like it does not work correctly for the conditions especially during the winter or off roading. For me, it would either wipe too frequently or not enough. Then during those conditions, I have no control: either off, low, and high (not including the useless intermittent mode).

I am not one for having a lot of automation unless I can have ultimate control if it does not operate the way I want it. The rainsense should have a way to turn it off in the DIC or external button.

Quick Reply: Rain Sense wipers