Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Tahoe & Suburban
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-24-2008, 10:26 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location:
Posts: 11
Default Really Bad Gas Mileage

I got a brand new 08 Tahoe and now it got about 1300 miles and i am getting really bad gas mileage, i am getting about 10.6 MPG. Why is that?[/align]Click the image to open in full size.[/align]
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2008, 10:48 AM
in2pro's Avatar
Administrator
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,109
Default RE: Really Bad Gas Mileage

Waht do you consider bad MPG? if your getting an avearge of 15 mpg you're probalby doing good if you have the Hybrid then I would think you should be getting intot he 20's in the city ZX says he was getting 25mpg with his Hybrid...

where do you live?

what gas are you using gas/E85 ?

How do you drive and are you towing?

Altitude and drivng conditions can affect milage

E85 gets way poor gas milage

Drive a new truck like a race car and getting off the line first in a new truck will kill the MPG, I have had my 07 for 7 months now with 7600 miles and still have never gotten less than 16.5 avg MPG. I keep the tach under 2k on all accelerations and that seems to really help.
__________________
Looking to advertise in the forum? click here > Internet Brands
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2008, 11:09 AM
mary900's Avatar
CF Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Adams, TN
Posts: 200
Send a message via AIM to mary900 Send a message via Yahoo to mary900
Default RE: Really Bad Gas Mileage

Reset your gallons/liters used, average fuel economy, and trip odometer after the next fill up. Track your mpg for a couple of weeks to see if mpg is really that low. Most of my driving is highway and despite myheavy foot I get 19.1.

But as in2pro pointed out, there can be lots of reasons for the low mpg. Don't forget to check the obvious to makesure your air cleaner is not clogged.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2008, 03:01 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location:
Posts: 11
Default RE: Really Bad Gas Mileage

Quote:
ORIGINAL: in2pro

Waht do you consider bad MPG? if your getting an avearge of 15 mpg you're probalby doing good if you have the Hybrid then I would think you should be getting intot he 20's in the city ZX says he was getting 25mpg with his Hybrid...

where do you live?

what gas are you using gas/E85 ?

How do you drive and are you towing?

Altitude and drivng conditions can affect milage

E85 gets way poor gas milage

Drive a new truck like a race car and getting off the line first in a new truck will kill the MPG, I have had my 07 for 7 months now with 7600 miles and still have never gotten less than 16.5 avg MPG. I keep the tach under 2k on all accelerations and that seems to really help.
My average is in the 10s never went over 10 and no i don't have a hybrid.

I live an Saudi Arabia so we don't have E85, 91 and 95 is allwe got.

Altitude is right at sea level , not towing and driving condition is normal no heavy foot or WOT runs at all.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2008, 03:04 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location:
Posts: 11
Default RE: Really Bad Gas Mileage

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mary900

Reset your gallons/liters used, average fuel economy, and trip odometer after the next fill up. Track your mpg for a couple of weeks to see if mpg is really that low. Most of my driving is highway and despite myheavy foot I get 19.1.

But as in2pro pointed out, there can be lots of reasons for the low mpg. Don't forget to check the obvious to makesure your air cleaner is not clogged.

I would sure do that, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2008, 08:39 PM
in2pro's Avatar
Administrator
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,109
Default RE: Really Bad Gas Mileage

Also alot of short trips and lots of stop and go will kill your MPG, as mary900 pointed out that she drives highways miles and gets 19+ which is what I get when on a trip of at least 50 miles or more but short city driving of 5-10 miles will yield poor milage.
__________________
Looking to advertise in the forum? click here > Internet Brands
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:28 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location:
Posts: 11
Default RE: Really Bad Gas Mileage

Quote:
ORIGINAL: in2pro

Also alot of short trips and lots of stop and go will kill your MPG, as mary900 pointed out that she drives highways miles and gets 19+ which is what I get when on a trip of at least 50 miles or more but short city driving of 5-10 miles will yield poor milage.
OK i get it now, we have allot of speed bumps here so it's allot of stop an go. I thinkthat's the main reason behind the poor gas millage. Don't you think so?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-27-2008, 12:07 AM
LTZ LTZ is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MI
Posts: 7
Default RE: Really Bad Gas Mileage

I'm getting around 15 mpg using 87-89 octane. This is in 2wd. 1,700 miles on my clock.
__________________
2007 4x4 Tahoe LTZ Silver Birch. OEM 07 Silverado Chromes 20's, OEM Tahoe Polished 20's in winter. Power Assists, NAV, Chrome Appearance, Moon Roof, DVD, Xzilon Mink Oil leather treatment, Weathertech Cargo w/3rd row, Scotchguard Invisible Mask.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 AM
CF Active Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location:
Posts: 129
Default RE: Really Bad Gas Mileage

Baltimore south on I-95 past South Of The Border on ONE tank with the cruise locked on 65mph. I set the DIC so I could see when it went from 8 cylinders to 4 and it was amazing. On the flat straight-aways, it stayed in V4 for a very long time and, according to the DIC, I was getting over30 mpg at some points
__________________
07 Silver Birch, 22's, wood steering wheel, 2nd row console, HID's, LED tails,3rd brake & back up lights, chrome grille, tow hooks, door moldings, side vents, liftgate handle.HOE LOVER FOR LIFE
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
73shark's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KC, MO area
Posts: 7,978
Default RE: Really Bad Gas Mileage

Do you have 4.10 gears? I have 3.73s and get 18 @ 65.
__________________
2010 Sheer Silver Tahoe LTZ (all options but sunroof, power boards), GM (body color flaps, rear console, 3rd row mat, 2-Way Remote, chrome gas door, Esky rack), Eagle Eye LED tails, SLP dual tip exhaust, Silver bow-ties/rear wiper, Catch-All mats, AlphaTherm washer fluid heater, Putco chrome mirror covers, silver calipers, board chrome trim, tint, GMPP Major Guard

2007 Black Tahoe LTZ (Sold),
(GM flaps-$15, Lund Step Tubes-$80-For Sale)
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
05, 2008, 37, 95, chevy, fuel, gas, low, ltz, milage, mileage, millage, poor, tahoe, terrible, towing


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Join Chevroletforum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.

Emails Backup