Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Video/Nav Override

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2006, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Video/Nav Override

I also got mine installed today. The wood panel cover was a bit tough to get off, but I managed to do it without damaging the cover. The instructions also mention that it enables "bluetooth phone entry". I didn't think the Tahoe supported this? I know the nav/dvd system is made by Denos, but I haven't found much useful information online anywhere. I also don't have the navigation manual that should have come with the vehicle. My dealer owes me a manual.

Overall, a great unit.

Old September 10th, 2006, 1:25 AM
CF Junior Member

do you have a DVD/Nav unit or a Nav unit?

ORIGINAL: lk40

I also got mine installed today. The wood panel cover was a bit tough to get off, but I managed to do it without damaging the cover. The instructions also mention that it enables "bluetooth phone entry". I didn't think the Tahoe supported this? I know the nav/dvd system is made by Denos, but I haven't found much useful information online anywhere. I also don't have the navigation manual that should have come with the vehicle. My dealer owes me a manual.

Overall, a great unit.

Old September 10th, 2006, 3:28 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: vyslouzil

do you have a DVD/Nav unit or a Nav unit?

Yes, I have the DVD/Nav system along with the read seat screen.
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay,
The GM Lockpick will not allow you to play a DVD unless you have the DVD system to start with.

lk40,
Did you get a little treat in the box with your Lockpick?

Old September 10th, 2006, 1:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Couldn't you just interrupt the signal from the speedo?

On the older model Tahoes that the folks are putting NAV into, on some models there is an orange wire from the speedo to the radio that
tells the radio that you are moving. Some used an interrupt switch to enter addresses on the fly.
Old September 10th, 2006, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

lk40,
Did you get a little treat in the box with your Lockpick?

I did get the little treat. Still working my way through all twenty flavors.
Old September 10th, 2006, 9:38 PM
CF Addict

To enter addresses on the fly that's basically what the GM Lockpick does is to interrupt the Vehicle Speed Signal (VSS), but it uses an existing button and it has a smart feature that enables the VSS every few seconds to prevent the system from triggering a fault code.
To play a DVD the system uses multiple inputs to tell if the vehicle is moving, even if you were to bypass the transmission position signal the DVD would only play for a second or two once the vehicle started to move without a device like the Lockpick installed.
Old September 10th, 2006, 10:21 PM
CF Active Member

Ordered mine last week and is supposed to be here tomorrow. Describe how you were able to get the panel off to get to the radio screws. Also, do you have to use the window lock button multiple times if on a long trip to scroll multiple times?
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: sjenkinzz

Ordered mine last week and is supposed to be here tomorrow. Describe how you were able to get the panel off to get to the radio screws. Also, do you have to use the window lock button multiple times if on a long trip to scroll multiple times?
I used a very small L-shaped wire tool to insert between the dash and wood panel cover. I inserted the tool just above the center of the CD player opening. The simulated wood panel doesn't go all the way around the nav unit and at the top, it uses a very flexible rubber piece. This rubber piece is flexible enough to get a wire tool behind it so you can pull it out enough to get a flat head screwdriver behind it. After pulling on the rubber piece enough to get a firm grip on it, you can start to release the pressure clips used to hold this cover on. Just work your way around from top center and alternate your way down each side. The toughest clip was the last clip on the bottom center. I think it helped when I rocked it back and forth to work it loose.

This procedure worked for me, and I didn't have any scratches or any evidence that I disassempled anything (just fingerprints). As far as your other question about using the window lock button mulitple times for scrolling multiple times, I'm not sure. I haven't tested it that thorough yet.
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:20 AM
CF Addict

Getting the radio trim panel off is a serious pain in the neck.
There are nine clips total, one at the bottom center and four along each side, the side clips are located close to the radio not the out edge and they are very stubborn.
I used a sturdy thin flat trim tool and carefully inserted it between the outer edge of the trim panel and the dash using a little force I wiggled it past its lip and behind the panel towards the radio until I could feel the clip and then pushed in on the handle to release the first clip and then just went around the panel popping each clip lose in the same manner, do not try to pull the panel off using your hands after the first clip is undone or you will break it.

To use the navigation data entry feature on-the-fly you push the power window lock-out button 4 times (I actually have to press it 5 on mine) and then you have about 1 minute to enter the address (it's plenty of time) before the entry feature reverts back the locked-out mode, the system won't actually start the guidance until the vehicle is moving (and it know it is) so you have to be in the normal lock out mode for the nav system to function anyway.

Quick Reply: Video/Nav Override