Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

XM to Sirius Converter

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2007, 11:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM to Sirius Converter

Hi,

This is my first post. Just bought a 2007 Tahoe LTZ.

I am a Sirius guy and want to use the OEM stereo/Navigation to get Sirius.
I have been doing a little research. I have found this:

Crutchfield

I have been in contact with Crutchfield. They said that this converter will not work on a 2007 w/Nav. Has anyone found a different way to get Sirius through the OEM Stereo w/Navigation?

I can use my aftermarket receiver, but I don't like the clutter.

Any ideas?

Old September 26th, 2007, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: XM to Sirius Converter

I don't know if this merger ever got done but here's a link to a news release on the XM site. I know it's kinda old but with big companies and FCC, merges like these sometimes take some time. If this merge happens to come through you might not have to worry about getting an adapter, just a matter of waiting. http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.p...&item=1423

On the other hand, if you end up getting an aftermarket head unit, let me know if you want to sell your OE head unit. I'm getting a new Suburban without the Navigation in about four to six weeks and am looking to replace the six disc head unit with a Navigation one whether it's stock of aftermarket.

Old September 27th, 2007, 11:02 AM
CF Active Member

tbrend -- They're correct, in 2007 (mid-2006 on some vehicles) GM changed the bus interface from something called the "Class-2 bus" to the "GM-LAN bus" and naturally the older converters won't work.

EYEYEC -- actually, with the merger they're taking the opportunity to screw people out of money by pretending you'll need new hardware. Your XM equipment will still only pick up XM stations. Or more accurately, they won't broadcast Sirius content over XM. I posted details in a discussion on the AVS Forum here if you want to see pricing and how the options break down (based on what they reported to the FCC).

On August 1st I called Directed, the company who makes the Sirius converters (like the SIR-GM1) and asked about a converter that is compatible with 2007 GM-LAN vehicles. They demoed one at CES earlier this year called the GML-SC1 (see it here). The salesguy at Directed told me it would be out near the end of August, but apparently that's the kind of thing they tell everyone who calls. It hasn't been released yet.

So basically, keep your fingers crossed and your eyes peeled for GML-SC1 to show up on the Sirius site.

If you feel like calling the Directed sales department and nagging them a little, they're in the Pacific timezone, phone number: 1-800-876-0800...
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:56 AM
CF Active Member

I just talked to several people at Directed -- "no ETA" is all they'd tell me now.
Old October 4th, 2007, 1:07 PM
CF Junior Member

I doubt Directed will release anything until more info on the merger is released.

I actually installed my aftermarket Sirius receiver in my center con. The only thing you can see is the antenna wire running up the side and under the top lid. I guess I have to live with it for now.

Thanks for the reply
Old October 19th, 2007, 5:24 PM
CF Junior Member

How about doing this? How about going to coastal and getting an IPOD controller? It plugs in WITH the XM, and has audio in jacks. You could pipe the audio into the radio, but would have to use the head unit of the sirius to control it. Then you could have XM AND Sirius. I am in the process of doing this, just deciding where to mount the sirius display.

Paul